News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with a Princess

Started by Dr. Leaky, May 19, 2012, 09:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Leaky

Greetings, all.  I just found a nice black Princess 702BM and am in the process of cleaning it up.  There is some dirt underneath the plastic disk that has the numbers printed on it (under the dial and over the white plastic disk).  It looks like it might just pop off, but I don't want to force it and risk breaking it.  Anyone know how to remove it the right way?
Thanks.

Phonesrfun

Just put a bent paperclip in the little hole to bow the plastic upward slightly, and grasp it by the bow and gently lift out of the recess.

To re-install, bow it slightly and it will snap right back in place.
-Bill G

jsowers

You need a paper clip, but Bill's instructions are for the touch-tone Princess or a Trimline with the small rectangular cover over the number card. I think you have a rotary Princess.

To remove the fingerwheel, use a regular paper clip or a pushpin in the small hole at the 9. Rotate the fingerhweel clockwise to the right like you're dialing a 0. Push down on the clip or the pushpin to push the catch down (this may take several tries) and at the same time rotate the fingerwheel a little more clockwise until it comes loose.

To replace the fingerwheel, place it on the phone with the "Operator" hole over the 9 and rotate counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise if you're British). It may take a few tries to get the number card straight. Usually there's a small notch in the card that matches up with a "bump" in the fingerwheel.
Jonathan

Dr. Leaky

Thanks for the replies - I did get the finger wheel off; I'm trying to get 1 layer deeper.  There is a round plastic disk that has the numbers printed on it (the ones you see through the finger wheel).  That's the one I'm trying to remove.
Thanks.

jsowers

Oh, sorry! Bill and I were both confused a little. And I just had my morning coffee. Guess it hadn't kicked in yet!

To get the number ring off, there's a small circular metal ring that has three "fingers" that seat under three metal clips on the dial. You use a flatblade screwdriver and push the ring counter-clockwise (I think) so it comes loose.

Don't use anything really powerful to clean that clear plastic piece or it might make the plastic cloudy. Just mild soap and water. If you can clean the fingerwheel with an old toothbrush and some hand soap, use the same thing to clean the number ring. Then dry it with a soft cloth or paper towel and it should look a lot better. There should also be a white plastic ring under the number ring and you can clean that too, or turn it over if it's stained or faded.

Hope that helps you out.
Jonathan

Dr. Leaky

Got it!  Many thanks & I'll post a picture when it's done.  I still need a transformer, but I have seen them at garage/estate sales so I'll keep my eye out.

jsowers

Great! Do post a picture of it when you're through cleaning it up.

Speaking of transformers, I happened to see an auction today for a grand total of 71 Princess transformers. I'm thinking that would be 70 more than you will ever need, but I was shocked to see that many in one picture.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

The cool part of that auction is the brackets to lock them on the outlet. I never see them anymore!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Speaking of transformers, does anyone remember which model transformer was supposed to have been considered a fire risk?

poplar1

The ones manufactured by Ault.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.