News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WESTERN ELECTRIC TYPE B1 PROTOTYPE SELF-CONTAINED PHONE eBay 320634586547

Started by Doug Rose, December 25, 2010, 07:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

What do you folks make of this? Dave Justice always does a fantastic job refurbing phones and this is no exception. Do you think this is a Bell Labs prototype or Uncle Al playing in the basement. The base looks kind of hap hazard. What's your take on it? Nothing like the Professional job AE did with the 1A with ringer base, but then again that was production. Your thoughts?....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-TYPE-B1-PROTOTYPE-SELF-CONTAINED-PHONE-/320634586547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa74f85b3
( dead link 12-06-21 )
Kidphone

Wallphone

I saw one of these a year or two ago on eBay and asked the TCI Listserv about the bell box on the bottom. A few members said they had seen them before and Vern said that he had one. I thought that the other one was made of Bakelite and not just a riveted band of steel. I'll look to see if I saved the pics. Hopefully Vern will chirp in on this one. Happy Christmas Everyone.
One of the Doug's

Wallphone

I found the pics and they are from Oct. 08. Sorry, I don't know how much it went for. It was also made of metal, and now I remember thinking how easy it would be to make one. So easy that it is still on my list of things to do. Oh well 2011 is right around the corner. The Bakelite housing I was thinking of is the AE type 32 bell box.

Wallphone

While looking for the previous pics I found something similar for a candlestick phone.
Doug

paul-f

Quote from: Wallphone on December 25, 2010, 11:51:11 AM
I found the pics and they are from Oct. 08. Sorry, I don't know how much it went for.

It was listed with a Buy It Now of $475 and didn't sell.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Looks like it may be a "War Shortage " phone. Another possibility is a refurb company was making the adaptors.

I did contact Dave Justice to see if I could visit. 

I  met him 15-20 years ago, his name still crops up sometimes when I ask around about old telephones.I have never kept in touch.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I made tenative arrangements for Dave to stop by last Friday.
Neither of us realized it was New Year's Eve.

Earlier on thursday I did a 5 mile hike in a local park. Cold weather was on the way. I finished up my hike at 12:30.

This video was shot about 3 hours after my hike. It is about 15 minutes away (in nice weather).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI

There is no parking on this roadway.

Note:
This was our 3rd snowstorm this winter and the 1st didn't count. We have been having great weather until this storm hit. It iced everything fast. Conditions were like this throughout town. The roads will probably be dry by Monday afternoon.

With luck I will meet up with Dave sometime this week .

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.