"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting coin track and slot upgrade? AE Rotay payphone

Started by Jim Stettler, February 03, 2016, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Craigslist ad
https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/5357473602.html ( dead link 03-03-21 )

<edit> A couple of screenshots added for posterity so when the Craigslist listing disappears the pictures will still be here along with the discussion on the rotary phone forum.    Terry
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Stan the Man

Looks like someone adapted part of a vending machine coin mechanism into it..  :)

Stan

CanadianGuy

So even if it's butchered, is it still worth $200? My guess is no.

Jim Stettler

I think it is a legitimate conversion done by a payphone re builder. I think that because of the strange single slot adapter. It is nicely done and fits the top well. I suspect it works as a payphone. There is a board  inside that could interface the coin mechanism to a timing circuit. I also noticed a lock? @ the rear side of the bottom housing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

f I found it in town for $100 I would buy it. I would keep it as is, but I like oddball telephones. I
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the cost considerations when buying payphones is "how complete is it?"  replacement parts add up fast. This phone would need a 3 slot coin gauge, a coin track , a coin relay, Most likely locks and keys are missing.
JMO,

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

mentalstampede

My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,