News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AMAZING discovery on Grandstream HT802

Started by markosjal, January 15, 2018, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have some unlocked Vonage HT802s now running the latest generic firmware.

I was testing a problematic ringer on a Rotary dial AE Styleline on various ATAs and dialed my local echo test . I thought I had disconnected from the echo test and went to dial another number but as I dialed , WAIT, did I hear???

YES! The HT802 converts pulses to tones while in a call. That is to say TONE OVERDIALING WITH A ROTARY PHONE!

Grandstream started by first selling cheap Chinese junk. I still have one of the original Budgettones from years ago which I have always hated.

Grandstream just earned my respect!
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AE_Collector

I know this isn't your point but.....AE single gong (Styleline & Starlite) ringers are very often an exercise in futility getting them to ring properly.

Terry

kb3pxr

This conversion is actually a side effect to the way DTMF is handled. Any time DTMF audio is desired on the receiving side, the out of band signaling is used to (re-)generate the tone. When pulse dialing is used, your ATA generates the same signal. The echo test server generates the DTMF tone to send back to you when it receives a dialed digit. The echo test server does not care how the digit was actually dialed, it simply assumes that when it receives a dialed digit, you want the DTMF tones back in return. If you had a device on your end that accepted MF signalling, your MF digits would actually come back as DTMF from the echo test.

It's rare, but it also works the other way. Remember, the network only sees digits. If you have an FXS port set to dial using pulse instead of tone, any digit you dial regardless of method (tone, pulse, digital keypad, MF, etc) would be converted to dial pulses.

Watch the ethernet port lights the next time you take your VoIP device off hook. There should be no activity on the ethernet side when you receive a dial tone. If early dial is disabled, you won't see any activity until you are finished dialing.

markosjal

I have other pulse compatible ATAs ; unlocked   vdv21 and utstarcom among others. None generate Dtmf on the line at any time . They merely read the pulses and translate that to a sip message with no need to generate a Dtmf tone. Neither of the others do tone while in a  all with a rotary phone.

The Grandstream actually converts pulses to Dtmf or at least to rfc2833 out of band signalling. Result is I hear a tone when using rotary dial and only with Grandstream.

Bay Area Doug

I can confirm that the Grandstream HT812 also has in-call tone generation.

All of this seems so whiplash inducing, as they'd taken pulse dialing off of the 702, only to add it back in firmware.  I have been in a panic gathering old HT502s (even with their suboptimal distant party audio) with the expectation that I would run out of pulse compatible ATAs. Now we know there are at least two production ATAs that combine good sound and are current models, with pulse and in-call DTMF.  Let's hope GS (and others) keep pulse decoding in later models too.

markosjal

You probably can not use a Grandstream 8xx very well to test dial pulse speed!

Babybearjs

is it vonage that uses the Grandstream modems? I have a HT702 and since Shane sent it to me, the configuration has not worked, I wrote him for the info, but no reply yet.
John

markosjal

Vonage does use Grandstreams as well as others