News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mail Delivery Problems - Canada

Started by Ktownphoneco, November 16, 2018, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

Good evening all  ... If this is in the wrong location, please feel free to move it to where it belongs.      I guess this is one of those "FYI" situations.     For those of you in the U.S.A. and other countries outside of Canada, our postal workers have been conducting rotating strikes all over the country.     Major sorting facilities which are choke points for mail entering the country from outside Canada, and domestic mail moving across the country, are being hit the hardest.     There are at the moment 260 trailers fully loaded with mail and packages ( as in tractor trailers) sitting in one of the major mail terminals in Toronto which processes mail coming into Canada from the U.S.A., and other countries.    A major sorting terminal in Vancouver has over 100 trailers sitting there, and Canada Post has advised foreign post offices to hold all mail destined for Canada until the situation improves, and that probably won't happen until the Union of Postal Employees goes back to work.    With the upcoming Christmas rush, the Canadian Government has indicated that if both sides can't reach an agreement, they'll legislate workers back to work.
But until that happens, anyone thinking about buying an antique telephone in Canada on eBay, or shipping one to a Canadian customer would be well advised to hang onto the parcel until the strike is over or workers are forced back to work, otherwise, there's a good chance it's going to sit in a truck or shipping container somewhere until the mess gets straightened out.

Thought I'd share that little bit of bad news so everyone knows what going on up here with the mail system, or lack of it.

Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

In the 1970s when the US postal workers went on strike President Nixon called out the Army and National Guard to handle the mail. Workers soon went back but they did get concessions from the government.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on November 18, 2018, 11:44:15 AM
In the 1970s when the US postal workers went on strike President Nixon called out the Army and National Guard to handle the mail. Workers soon went back but they did get concessions from the government.

Regular Member Post

. . . and in the 80s, Ronald Reagan fired all of the Air Traffic Controllers when they went on strike, and they never went back to work. Message sent loud and clear to essential workers. I'd bet there are more than enough people in Canada who would just love to work in the postal sector, maybe even for less money. It's really a shame that the few who hold the lives of the many have the ability to harm their country whenever they so choose.

On a side note, I feel a bit sorry for the person who bought that cobalt blue lamp shade for $564. It ships from Canada and my not be delivered until next year, unless shipped FedEx or UPS international.