News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT&T or at&t

Started by Fabius, May 31, 2017, 11:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

When SBC (formally Southwestern Bell Telephone) bought AT&T SBC changed their name to at&t because that name had better world wide recognition then SBC. SBC said the name would be in lower case letters to distinguish it from the old AT&T. Lately I noticed new AT&T cell stores using AT&T with the new logo and the central office in downtown South Bend Indiana has the AT&T capitol lettering and new logo. Notice on the CO building you can see the mounting holes from previous signs (Indiana Bell, Ameritech, SBC). I wonder if at&t is going back to using capital letters?  Citation: The picture of the whole building is from a South Bend Tribune article Dec 2016.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

I always thought "AT&T" had more recognition than "at&t", even before I started collecting.

There is an old AT&T Long Lines tower very similar to that (but not quite as big) at the end of my road. Currently, it's a parking lot for AT&T trucks. They also use the building for something, but I'm not sure what.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

shadow67

They are using AT&T now. Just a marketing decision. I work for them and remember a little blurb that they were going back to all caps in the logo. They recently changed the sign on our building.