News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Straight vs. Coiled cords

Started by tjmack99, November 27, 2010, 09:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

Was there a specific year that they switched from straight cords to the coiled ones on WE 500 sets? And for those already in homes, was that a change the techs made in the field as well, or were those left alone unless they were damaged and needed replacement?
Thanks

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

It was late 1956 when coiled handset cords were made standard at the Bell System. And I'm sure some of the straight cords must have been changed out to coiled cords in the field because they were more convenient.

Coiled cords were always an option before late 1956 (except for 554s in colors other than ivory and black) and the installers were instructed on how to sell extensions and accessories right in the field. Early on, there was a small one-time fee to upgrade. Past 1957 or after the parts supply ran out, it would stand to reason that a damaged straight cord would be replaced by a coil cord because they just stopped making the straight ones.

Has anyone ever seen a straight handset cord with a date past 1956?
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

Jonathan:

I have a 3-57 Rose Beige WE501 with a 56 stamp on a rose beige straight cord. The strain relief originally was gray and painted rose beige to match.

I prefer these old cords more than the coiled cords. It makes the handset feel almost weightless by not having something tugging at it constantly.
Jorge

Dan

I saw a black 1957 on ebay a couple of weeks ago with a straight cord, and it looked all numbers matching
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 27, 2010, 07:12:35 PM
Jonathan:

I have a 3-57 Rose Beige WE501 with a 56 stamp on a rose beige straight cord. The strain relief originally was gray and painted rose beige to match.

I prefer these old cords more than the coiled cords. It makes the handset feel almost weightless not having something tugging at it constantly.

Thanks for the evidence, Jorge and Dan.

Maybe it was early 1957, then? It would be nice if there was something like a company memo or something to go on, instead of cord and chassis dates. That gray strain relief reminds me of one of the dark gray coil cords I have. It has a red jacket on the piece that sits inside the handset and goes to the earpiece. Heaven only knows why. And yes, the older coil cords are quite heavy. Part of the charm, I suppose.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

I have a 1954 Two tone that seems to be original except it had a replacement coiled handset cord.  I put a straight black cord on it some time ago and it's dated 58.  Until I find one from the IV quarter of 1954 it will live here.  It appears to be a Western Electric cord based upon the stamping on the back side of the strain relief.  At least it's similar to others.

oldphon

Interesting.  That straight cord looks to be vinyl, rather than rubber.  I've only ever seen straight cords in rubber.

Dennis Markham

Jeremy, it is vinyl covered.  It doesn't hold its shape like the older rubber cords.  Much more pliable.

JorgeAmely

Maybe made by the same factory and tooling as the gray cords.
Jorge

paul-f

Here are some photos of a 1962 set I sold last year.  It had a 1962 straight cord.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Tom B

Paul
That cord looks extremely thin... or is it me?
Tom

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line