"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Possible Fake WE stick on EBAY?

Started by Pourme, January 19, 2020, 06:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 21, 2020, 01:20:25 PM
I have always used that Nov 1910 date as a definite repro regardless of anything else.

It is a definite red flag. The "1910" reproductions were apparently copied from an original 51 AL but:
1. I am not aware of a 1910 patent date that might have been used on a WE transmitter cup and
2. 1910 predates the 51 AL so it would not be the "correct" cup anyway.

Jack

Pourme

~

Jack, I can't document it at this time but the story is that the "fakers" faked that transmitter cup date and all and made thousands of them. I have never held one in my hand but have seen many pictures of the reproductions made from that cast.

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

I would hazard a guess that whomever made the repro parts had a transmitter cup from one phone copied and a perch from a different phone. I do not know if there are any real sticks with that 1910 date.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Those reproduction parts started with VTS and later Phoneco. The older parts were made in Korea and were very crude and would not fit with out work . Later parts were from Taiwan and were much better quality. I think the Nov 1910 was chosen to make sure that there was no doubt that they were reproductions.Watch out for telephones with one or more reproduction parts .The dial bases could be added to non dial sets and railroad headset hooks could be replaced.

Key2871

Yes, correct. I remember when people were selling those as genuine later got yelled at by avid collectors as fakes.
And VTS and phoneco had those parts made in Japan.
I have even seen a few in antique shops and told the shop owner they were not real antiques and referred them to  a seen page on the web, a ATCA member did way back to steer people in the right direction when looking at repop candlesticks.
KEN

rdelius

These parts were not Japanese, I assembled then and had to peel off the stickers. The Japanese parts fit a different stick and would not interchange