and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 99: Early 1900s Tapered Shaft Candlestick

Started by TelePlay, September 03, 2013, 02:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2013, 01:55:53 PM
I heard back from the Seller today.

Did you happen to ask about the cords, hook switch, transmitter and receiver internals?

wds

He said the hookswitch was there, just no wiring. I did not ask about the green cord, but to me it looks like a stiff lamp shade cord.  The receiver is wrong, but seems in decent shape.  So, no internal wiring, missing the parts out of the base, and hole drilled through the perch with wrong bolt.  Also this wasn't pointed out before, but the receiver arm usually has a tear drop shaped hole, not the round like this one.  Also no marked transmitter.  For $300 I will wait for one that has all the parts. 
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2013, 04:27:00 PMAlso this wasn't pointed out before, but the receiver arm usually has a tear drop shaped hole, not the round like this one.  Also no marked transmitter.

When I started the contest, I did say "the exact makeup of the phone is a bit unclear" and gave a general link to a site listing collectible sticks but not this -> link <- to what appears to be this exact stick. Yes, the classic stick site does show teardrop holes in the receiver arm. That site also had great pictures of the split shaft open, the transmitter cup with stamped manufacturing information and ads from back in the day. I also -> posted <- a cropped photo from that site showing what appears to be the correct perch bolt when that was brought up in the auction. It's just too bad for the first buyer that the photos were few, fuzzy and lacking internal shots.

wds

As far as the receiver arm, I guess the early models had the round hole, not the tear drop.  
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on October 09, 2013, 10:33:31 AM
$350 - free shipping.  I don't know if the price changed last night or today.  good call on the $350 price!

$325 with free shipping.

wds

Bright and early this Thursday morning, $300.
Dave

HarrySmith

$275.00 tomorrow?

If this keeps up in a week or so it might be at a reasonable price for a parts phone ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I believe this is what's missing in the base.  Although maybe not a deal breaker, I doubt if you could ever find the original parts.
Dave

poplar1

There's always hope that another will turn up where ye olde lampmaker was in too big of a hurry to remove the "inside heavy parts."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

That's interesting - since the bolt goes all the way though the perch maybe this phone was a lamp.  Would explain the missing parts.  Listing expired, then was relisted at $275.  The new listing was cancelled so for now it doesn't appear to be for sale.
Dave

TelePlay

For posterity in this saga . . .