News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Model 36?

Started by Pourme, September 26, 2017, 08:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

This is the Siemens phone I found at the flea market last weekend for $13, as mentioned earlier on the forum.

http://tinyurl.com/y8avad25

In that thread Haf mentioned that he thought it was a model 36, just looking at the on line literature I can find, I tend to agree. The pictures from under the hood may help us to decide.

The parts I see right off that are needed are, receiver cap sleeve, both cords and number card holder. There may be more that my untrained eye can't recognize. Hap and other knowledgeable collectors, I'd be interested to know your opinion as well as the aprox manufacturing date. Some materials suggested there was a French version that look like this, as well.

I've read all the jokes, so what is the white button for? There are phones that look identical except for that button.

In trying to get a idea of the value, I noticed on EBAY the Asking prices can run high. I know Asking can be very different from Sold prices. Not that I am interested in selling, I'm much better at buying than I am at selling.

Also, I love the sound of the dial as it operates, one of the coolest dial sounds ever!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

It looks like there is a date of 10.37 on the condenser, so that would strongly suggest that it is a W36.  There is some information on these models here: http://www.henderson-tele.com/vtm/de/de/1933-1948.html.  These phones appear for sale in the USA periodically, and they generally do not go for high prices.  There are plenty of them for sale in Europe, and I think that they sell for higher prices there.  At any rate, you can't go wrong for a phone in that condition for $13.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The picture in this W36 wikipedia article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modell_36 shows the same component layout.

Larry

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 26, 2017, 09:17:11 AM
The picture in this W36 wikipedia article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modell_36 shows the same component layout.

Larry

The Wikipedia page also references the "Fg.tist166" that is printed on the base as being a Model 36. I guess it's safe to say this is a Model 36. I see the date on the condenser. I wasn't certain that was a date.

Thanks for your input!

Benny
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 26, 2017, 09:14:11 AM
It looks like there is a date of 10.37 on the condenser, so that would strongly suggest that it is a W36.  There is some information on these models here: http://www.henderson-tele.com/vtm/de/de/1933-1948.html.  These phones appear for sale in the USA periodically, and they generally do not go for high prices.  There are plenty of them for sale in Europe, and I think that they sell for higher prices there.  At any rate, you can't go wrong for a phone in that condition for $13.

Larry

Looking at the web site mentioned above, it looks as though my dial may have been replaced at some point. The black plastic dial came later?

Benny
Benny

Haf

The dial looks like a NS Nummernschalter 30, but can't read the exact marking.
http://www.jepewe.de/Nummernschalter.html
take a look, there you have the different Siemens model markings. And for dsk some of the technikal stuff adjusting these dials :)

About the parts you need, will keep in mind and take a look, should be easy to get but will me maybe take one or two weeks. As everywere, some people have some unrelistic numbers in mind if it comes to prizes. Will get as cheap as possible of course.

Oh and if you want to know about the white button, it's a Nebenstellenapparat mit Erde Taste, means extension phone with ground button. If you are called and want to transfere the call to someone else you press the button, dial the desired number, wait until the one answers and then release the button and the call is transfered. I remember those very well.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

What makes you sure it is a modell 36, The bottom plate is under the bakelite, most others has a bakelite rim hiding the plate, and:
Regarding the button in front, it was used as Haf but may be used for ground start at North American systems.

dsk

PS You may see mine here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1374.msg18355#msg18355   DS

Pourme

Quote from: Haf on September 26, 2017, 01:18:23 PM
The dial looks like a NS Nummernschalter 30, but can't read the exact marking.
http://www.jepewe.de/Nummernschalter.html
take a look, there you have the different Siemens model markings. And for dsk some of the technikal stuff adjusting these dials :)

About the parts you need, will keep in mind and take a look, should be easy to get but will me maybe take one or two weeks. As everywere, some people have some unrelistic numbers in mind if it comes to prizes. Will get as cheap as possible of course.

Oh and if you want to know about the white button, it's a Nebenstellenapparat mit Erde Taste, means extension phone with ground button. If you are called and want to transfere the call to someone else you press the button, dial the desired number, wait until the one answers and then release the button and the call is transfered. I remember those very well.

Haf

N30 is correct, but It is also marked As sch. 179a.
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: dsk on September 26, 2017, 01:49:42 PM
What makes you sure it is a modell 36, The bottom plate is under the bakelite, most others has a bakelite rim hiding the plate, and:
Regarding the button in front, it was used as Haf but may be used for ground start at North American systems.

dsk

PS You may see mine here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1374.msg18355#msg18355   DS

I guess I'm not completely sure dsk, just trying to read the tea leaves. The base plate does sit rather flush under the bakelite with no rim to hide the plate. The layout in the photo looks identical to mine. Which model do think it to be? I definitely defer to you and Haf on this one!
Benny

Pourme

Haf

Thanks for your help on the parts, time is not a issue, I'm in no hurry!
Benny

Haf

You might be interested in dial lubrication, found something for you. Scroll down to "Schmiervorschriften" circle means oil, triangle means grease. If you need help with translating, please just ask.
http://52608462.fn.freenet-hosting.de/pdf_download/ns24_einstell_schmier_30_dr_s&h.pdf

Das N.30-Modell V.Sa.Sch. 179a (S&H) ohne elektr. Verbindung zwischen nsi und nsa und ohne mechanische Sperre, nur ein nsa-Kontakt. Gibt es mit weißen Ziffern auf schwarzem Grund und umgekehrt.

Translation:  Dial 30- model V.Sa.Sch. 179a without electrical connection between nsi and nsa and without mechanical locking (different than dsk thought), only one  nsa contact. Versions with white numerals on black and vice versa.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 26, 2017, 09:14:11 AM
... and they generally do not go for high prices.  There are plenty of them for sale in Europe, and I think that they sell for higher prices there.  At any rate, you can't go wrong for a phone in that condition for $13.

Larry

paint it red, engrave A.H. and sell it for 150k ;)

I'm sorry, just kidding
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

I took a look at mine and Haf is right.

unbeldi

Haf

It is incorrect to translate  "Nebenstellenapparat" with "extension phone", because extension phones in US terminology are secondary stations to a subscriber station on the same telephone line to a central office.   The German term Nebenstellenapparat implies that it was not used directly on a subscriber line, but was used behind a PABX (Nebenstellenanlage), or other type of private telephone system.  Therefore, the correct term to use is PBX station telephone.

PBX station instruments, such as the Modell 36, were not permitted to be connected directly to the public switched telephone system, as they did not undergo the official testing and registration programs of the Reichspost (or later Bundespost).  The indication of such successful registration was the designation W.  Therefore it is wrong to term this telephone W36.   The telephone type failed the registration requirements of the Reichspost, and was subsequently sold even after WWII for exclusive use in private telephone systems by multiple vendors, not just S&H.

Haf

Quote from: unbeldi on September 27, 2017, 09:20:30 AM
It is incorrect to translate  "Nebenstellenapparat" with "extension phone", because extension phones in US terminology are secondary stations to a subscriber station on the same telephone line to a central office.   The German term Nebenstellenapparat implies that it was not used directly on a subscriber line, but was used behind a PABX (Nebenstellenanlage), or other type of private telephone system.  Therefore, the correct term to use is PBX station telephone.

Thank you for correction, you are absolutely right, this is what I wanted to express.
Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474