MagicMo's 5-29-55 WECo 554 / black switch hook that she got for free
8 (33.3%)
Gilas' 591 Rose Beige & 500 Oxford Gray - $30 Total
16 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 16, 2013, 12:39:03 AM
cch123:
I copied your above comments to the "Phones built on the AE 80E Platform" topic here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3033.0

Terry

I have the Royce Freedom Dialer. ISTR that it doesn't have #, * but those button are used in programming the reparatory dialer (speed dial). I am almost certain that mine is pulse only. It is packed away at the moment.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

AE made the UDK touchpads (pulse output) at the time so Royce could have produced these phones in pulse using that touchpad to ensure sales to people with pulse only phone lines. I have one as well so will check it to see what type it is.

Terry

MagicMo

I would like to add my 5-29-55 554 with a black switch hook that I got for free. It looked really nasty but it cleaned up beautifully! It looks mint now. I'm too lazy to take a picture with the handset right now.
Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Haf

Following your demand here is my very first Find of the Month phone :)

Actually the phone itself is nothing so special but the story about is as I think astonishing and sensational.

OK, first here's the phone, a 1C Western Electric payphone in an out of service condition I bought on ebay as a part of a set of three (mentioned at bad packing awards before). Build August 1971 (yeah, only one month younger than me) but changed during it's lifetime to stay state of art. When I disassembled the phone seen that even it had started with rotary dial and then manually cut out for keypad. So lots of things changed, everything recorded on the maintenance cards still in the phone from as early as 1979.
So for example in 1980 an employee who just started his career at Cincinnati Bell recorded on one of this cards what he did that day, signed with his ID. And this employee was Jim Engle.
I think it's really sensational writing with a fellow collector now being part of something collectible itself. He thinks similar, even talked to two other fellow workers, still remembering the place where the phone was once located. 33 years later!
So this payphone is something special to me. And Jim is, in some way still continuing what he did 33 years ago by directing me to maintain the phone. It's one of the best documented phones in my collection now.

So that's the story and the phone, to me it's until now my find of the year :)

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Dave203

I really enjoyed this story. Thank you for posting pictures. Its cool to be able to see what the phone guy wrote each time he came out to this phone. Especially the "Wheres the new dial?" comment. You were lucky to get all those information tags. I would guess 98% of those from all phone have been tossed out over the years. This truly was a great find. Was the phone man the same guy who sold them on eBay?

MagicMo

Practice Kindness :)

Haf

QuoteWas the phone man the same guy who sold them on eBay?

No, seller was Gods Bible School and College in Cincinnati, where the phones where located at. And the phone guy, OK, at least one of them is the collector Jim Engle when he was young and worked for Cincinnati Bell those days. Maybe some here know him, he has quite a big collection of payphones.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Gilas

I will nominate my two soft plastic 500's that I acquired tonight for the grand total of $30 at a local flea market.  One is actually a 591 Rose Beige while the other is a beautiful Oxford Gray 500

LM Ericsson

I would like to nominate my 1966 RWT Elektrim model CB-664 Built in Poland that I got for a late Birthday Present to the Find of the Month For August
Regards,
-Grayson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Gilas on August 31, 2013, 12:00:59 AM
I will nominate my two soft plastic 500's that I acquired tonight for the grand total of $30 at a local flea market.  One is actually a 591 Rose Beige while the other is a beautiful Oxford Gray 500

Wow!! I'm very jellious! Oxford gray is the color (and brown) I'm looking for but not too expensive of a price.

Ben

dsk

8) I'm not sure if this is the find of the month, but at least it was affordable.  ;)
http://tinyurl.com/oewccax

At least something to play with, and it comes locked without a key.

Where did they use phones like this?

How did they work?

dsk

AE_Collector

Okay, I am not even going to do the research and look it up. This month is a record for the Find of the Month, no doubt about it.

18 Contestants this month and Praise the Lord, the Poll option is able to handle 18 seperate entries. good to Know!

I figures that 6 votes each divided amoungst the 18 contestants sounded right and worked out nicely. HOWEVER, today is the CRPF's 5th Anniversary so you each get five votes. ....but then I threw in one more vote for good behavior so SIX VOTES EACH.

Once again, I challenge everyone to USE ALL SIX VOTES this time!

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 03, 2013, 11:24:09 PM
Now I have to admit, it is hard to look through 18 contestants and pick out your favorite 6! Oh well, keeps things interesting here on "The Find of the Month"!

Terry

Yes, any more than 18 and we may need thumbnail photos.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

It has been fun but I think we may have to make a few changes (rules) for the future to narrow this down to a short list of well defined competitors

Maybe only single items entered rather than groups. 

If not acquired in the month it had to be acquired maybe only in the preceeding month.

Full info required to enter including:
Purchase price
Shipping price if applicable
Where purchased or aquired

Any thoughts?

Terry

New England Tel.

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 04, 2013, 01:28:19 AM
It has been fun but I think we may have to make a few changes (rules) for the future to narrow this down to a short list of well defined competitors

Maybe only single items entered rather than groups. 

If not acquired in the month it had to be acquired maybe only in the preceeding month.

Full info required to enter including:
Purchase price
Shipping price if applicable
Where purchased or aquired

Any thoughts?

I'll take each point separately:

>Maybe only single items entered rather than groups

I don't really see where this would've substantially reduced the number of entries this month, so I would disagree with this.

>If not acquired in the month it had to be acquired maybe only in the preceeding month.

This makes sense. In fact, I thought that was already part of the rules.

>Full info required to enter including:
>Purchase price

I think that this should remain voluntary. Unless the ultra-low price is to be considered the sole criteria for the find's desirability, it is really irrelevant what someone has paid for it. Is this contest to be Find of the Month, or will it be changed to Bargain of the Month?

>Shipping price if applicable
>Where purchased or aquired

In my opinion, these are both irrelevant to anything, and again, should be voluntary information.

Just my 2 cents!

Bob
-Bob Archambault