News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reunited and it feels so good!

Started by AET, March 30, 2009, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Well, I found a phone today that I had been missing since 2004.  My first rotary phone, and the only one I had owned from 04 until just recently when I joined the forum.

I knew nothing of phones when I got this one, it had been wired in our Gun Store, which had been a pharmacy from 1865 until we bought it in 04.  It was just an old rotary phone that was heavily used and it showed.  My dad was going to throw it out, and after some persuasion, he let me keep it.  It was not wanted in the house, so it was packed up and ended up in the garage at our summer house until today.   

My friends and I went on a special search for it, and of course when I got it, I had to take her apart right away.  I was superbly disappointed to see that it was a full modular and I immediately thought, not very old. Well, I took off the mouthpiece to find a date of 66, so I went "Okay, it's an updated model"  And I took the case off to find that the network, ringer, and dial and base are all dated 10/58!  A good find complete with cloth cords and everything, just needs to be cleaned.  It did work in 04, but needs to be wired for a modern modular. 

Here's some pics, I'll probably start on it tomorrow.

- Tom

bingster

Not too shabby, Tom.  The color code on the dial (61) indicates it was originally a light grey set.  Does it look like light grey inside the caps, or does it look white?
= DARRIN =

AET

Looks white to me, but could definately be lite Gray, it doesn't seem like there'd be a big difference.
- Tom

McHeath

That's a phone that earned it's keep.  Of course it will work when you wire it up, and it will still work when you give it to your grandkids in the future, and it will probably still work, if there is some way to hook it up, when it hits it's 100th birthday.

Nice find.

mienaichizu

it needs thorough cleaning, start on it Tom

nice find!

I always wanted a rotary wall phone but by only 554 is upgraded to touch tone when I bought it

Tonyrotary

I bet with some elbow grease and patience that phone can be made to look good again. Keep us updated.

AET

The only thing that's been done so far is to take the stickers off, which I only started on, back when I was 13.  There's a sticker on the side that has "Sold by Wisconsin" then I can't read the rest and then it says "Purchase Date" but I cant' read the date.  I have the phone in pieces right now, waiting to be cleaned.  Between work, family, and friends, and today I went through every page of eBay phones, I didn't get to it.  So, I will be getting to it and cleaning it.  Maybe this'll be that 554 for the bathroom!  I did buy a modular end for the back today too.  Luckily my dad learned to work on phones back in the 70's and said he knows a lot (didn't know that until today!)
- Tom

AET

Well, I cleaned up the 554 today and it turned out pretty good.  Put the receiver caps in the wash and the dial, they came out great!  I cleaned all the stickers off and polished up the phone.  It's yellowed, but I guess there's not much I can do about that unless I can figure out that chemistry lesson in the yellowing thread LOL. 

Dad also learned me how to put a new modular cord on there, though he didn't know how to just put an end on, so he replaced the whole cord.  I hooked her up and I can dial and receive calls like she's new.  Only problem is the ringer doesn't work.  I putzed with it a bit, but the lady friend called and it's her birthday, so she was the priority today.  I've got some pictures of the phone and the network to see if anybody can see what may be the wrench in my works here.  Thanks all!!

- Tom

McHeath

Looks pretty good.  I like the 554 series, we had them when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for them.  That chemistry lesson in removing the yellowing on old plastics sounds interesting, I might have to give it a try myself. 

AET

Thanks McHeath!  There is that thread about the case yellowing reversal, but I'm no chemist and can't really follow that recepie too well.  Heck even when I cook I burn water, just another reason why I need to hurry up and get hitched LOL.  If I figure it out, this phone will definately be number one on my list.  I plan on this to be my kitchen phone when I get out on my own.
- Tom

Tonyrotary

Hey she cleaned up pretty good! I bet if you can figure that recipe out in the yellow reversal thread this phone would be sweet! You know I was looking at that recipe and it doesn't seem to hard to follow. Maybe one day you will give it a try. I too have a softspot for the 554. My uncle had several and I currently own one myself and love it.

Dan

Use the bleaching method I posted. She will turn out beautiful, trust me. try corn starch instead of Arrow root if you want to save $
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Tom, I'd be glad to help you check your wiring but only one of those photos wasn't blurry and I can't tell what's what.  If you can take a couple more showing the connections from the ringer to the network and the line cord to the network then maybe I can identify a problem.  If it's working otherwise, then I don't need to see all the other wiring.

Dennis

AET

Okay Dennis, I will get tinkering with the camera, to try to make it take a clear up-close pic, and get it posted ASAP.  Thanks so much!
- Tom

DavePEI

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 06, 2009, 11:45:43 PM
Okay Dennis, I will get tinkering with the camera, to try to make it take a clear up-close pic, and get it posted ASAP.  Thanks so much!
Tom - just a hint. Many cameras have a Macro setting often shown as a flower. Use this, and it will force the camera to focus better up close.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001