News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Switchboard NOS parts

Started by ....., February 11, 2017, 07:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received an email from a fellow that had bought some phone related items from. I attached the pictures he had sent to me. I talked to other members Jeff Lamb and Dave Hunter about this stuff. Both basically had the same answer. It was of no use to them. I don't want to see this disappear, if there is someone out there that has a use for it.  So my question is: Do I buy them and what do I offer him for this.

This is what he said.

Hi Doug,

I found some more phone stuff - but it's very specialized and I don't know if it would be of use or interest. If you had an operator's switchboard that you were trying to repair or complete the parts might be useful.

There are different sorts of relays and some toggle switches. Some of the switches are new in the box (but old from the 40's or 50's I would think).

I've attached a couple pictures and if you think they might be of use please let me know,

thanks again,

Alan

Hi Doug,

I have no idea as to their value - give me what you think to be a fair offer and then there yours (+ postage). If you want some more close ups or numbers on each of the items just let me know,

Alan

HarrySmith

I am sure they would be priceless to someone trying to complete a board but that would be a very small market in my opinion.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Cool stuff, however, very small market. I think you could sell some of the items (cheap) at a phone show. The switches are cool (to me) but are of no use. I would offer to take the stuff for free, or pay a very minimal amount, not over $1.00 an Item. It would be hard for me to justify
more than $20.00 for it all. If I owned it I would haul it to the Kansas telephone show and give it to someone that would keep it.
JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

The fellow sent me more pictures this morning.

Dan/Panther

How tall are those switches from the mounting plate to the bottom of the wire terminals.  Minus the toggle, and the plate. I may have an alternate use for them if they aren't to tall.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 11, 2017, 02:23:26 PM
How tall are those switches from the mounting plate to the bottom of the wire terminals.  Minus the toggle, and the plate. I may have an alternate use for them if they aren't to tall.
D/P

I don't know, he just sent the pictures this morning. I don't have them in my possession yet. By the looking at the pictures, They are laying in a tile floor, assuming the tiles are 12" X 12" Some of the switches are close enough to the edge of the tile. So in my uneducated guess, I would say between 2 1/2" & 3" give or take a 1/4".  If I end up with them, I will let you know.

My package arrived this morning, all 17 LBS of it. He sold me everything for $20.00 CDN plus $18.22 in postage. I'll sort it out later today and get some pictures. I will get the part numbers and catalogue them for better identification of each piece.   

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 11, 2017, 02:23:26 PM
D/P

That would be 3"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Another couple of pictures with a different switch. If you are interested in some let me know, a couple of bucks and postage.

HarrySmith

What is the difference? Is it the same length? What does the face look like, on both?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 15, 2017, 02:44:26 PM
What is the difference? Is it the same length? What does the face look like, on both?

Top switch is a 173 P - Yesterdays picture.
Bottom switch 175 A - Todays pictures.

I don't know if there is a difference. Just the part number. The face is the same on both. I just grabbed a switch from the box for the second set of pictures.
The first picture is cropped from this picture.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 15, 2017, 02:44:26 PM

The difference may be the switch pile-up.
Just a guess,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.