News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Roger Conklin Tribute

Started by Doug Rose, November 28, 2014, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Roger Conklin has passed. A true Gentleman and a Pioneer in our hobby. Roger will be truly missed....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;

Did he have a a website, or some form of Bio you could link to ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Roger passed away on Tuesday.  Here's the text of the notice from Roger's son. There will be a formal obit later.

- - - - -
From David Conklin son of Roger Conklin
It is my sad duty to let you and Roger's friends know that Roger passed away on Tuesday. He went peacefully and was surrounded and supported by his children.

There will be a memorial service to celebrate Roger next week as follows:
Wednesday December 3rd at 7 PM
Christ Fellowship
8900 SW 168th Street
Palmetto Bay, FL 33157

We understand that many of his friends are in distant locations and might not be able to attend.

- - - - -

Roger had an amazing career in telephony and was a frequent contributor to Singing Wires -- and was on the Editorial Board since its inception. You can get an idea of the breadth of his contributions by searching for Conklin in the on-line Singing Wires index found on this page:
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/JournalsSamples/singwire.htm

TCI members can review Roger's "autobiography" in the November 2003 Singing Wires, available in the Members Area of the TCI site or in the samples area here:
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/JournalsSamples/samples.htm

I was fortunate enough to work with Roger on Singing Wires and corresponded with him regularly until recently. I've always been amazed at his ability to vividly recall and recount details of his telephony experiences going back to his youth. He was an amazing resource and a great mentor.

There will be much more summarized in Singing Wires over the next few months.   Please share any special memories.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Sorry to hear, Roger was a great guy and his knowledge of really old phones will be irreplaceable.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JorgeAmely

I am deeply saddened by Roger's passing. I traded few emails with him and he was always gracious and candid in his replys.
Jorge

Russ Kirk

So sad,  condolences to his family.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dennis Markham

I too was saddened to learn of Roger's passing.  I never had the pleasure to meet him but always enjoyed reading what he posted on the telephone "lists".

My heart-felt condolences to all of Rogers friends and especially his family.

Thank you Paul for posting those links.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

I must say I, too, am saddened.  I had never met Roger, but I have benefitted by his many posts over the years.  He had so much knowledge and seemed to have a razor sharp memory of so many things telephone related.  A walking encyclopedia.  No wonder so many have said recently that he was an un-tapped resource.

Definitely a one of a kind.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Oh no, say it isnt so....

Almost a year ago I met Roger for the first and last time. I finished a cruise in Fort Lauderdale on December 9 and wasn't flying home until the next day. Harry Smith (whom I hadn't met until then as well) came and picked me up and we then met Roger for lunch. After lunch we went to Rogers home to see his phone collection. It was hard to leave as Roger was such a wealth of information.

We would exchange emails every so often but over the last couple of months I hadn't heard back from Roger. I was just starting to wonder if something might be wrong.

Rogers passing is a huge loss for the phone collecting community. Rest in Peace Roger.

Terry