News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mini Mediteranian Blue 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, June 01, 2014, 09:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just won this auction for a mini "Walt Barber" med blue 500 for $18. From an earlier topic, I saw one of these go for $209 on eBay, so I think $18 was a pretty good deal! Things are really turning up blue for me lately!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8773.0

http://tinyurl.com/k8c5sav

Do you guys think that the pen attachment is adhered, or is it drilled on? Would it be easy to remove, or will it come off at all without leaving a huge hole behind?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

I got the phone yesterday, and it looks pretty good! I can absolutely tell that this was made as a promo by Bell System l, because the color exactly matches my med blue 500, and the inside of the shell even has a cheesy smell ;D!

The fingerwheel was originally glued, but at one point was ripped from the molding and had a hole drilled right through the fingerwheel to accomodate the screw-on pen holder. Fortunately, this problem can be solved by using a screw and nut, and I can put that freely-moving fingerwheel to good use! As for the music box inside, it easily came right out with four screws. The music box mechanism itself was held on the bottom with pieces of balsa wood held together with roofing staples (Walt Barber doesn't seem like a very big company). The music box mechanism is labeled "Switzland", so it was either made there or the company was from there (also labeled NYC).
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

I'd like to see it next to your Med blue phone..

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I took a quick grainy picture with my computer's web cam of my two med blue 500s with the new baby brother squeezed in between them. It looks identical to my full-color med blue, except for the slight fading on my mini.
Christian Petterson