News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited D1

Started by AL_as_needed, February 11, 2018, 02:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

So while everyone else was enjoying the Super-Bowl, I was off hunting on ebay and landed one of the last on my "to get" list. For all of 27$ shipped, I got a dusty and crusty D1, circa 1937. The base looks to be in great shape under the crud and chipped paint and the hand set falls well within the salvageable range. 

Sadly the cords were beyond help as you can see, and oddly were AE.... older referb for a intercom set maybe?
TWinbrook7

Partyline4

Wow that was quite the snoozer for 27 shipped! Nice.

oldguy

Nice find at a great price.
Gary

Partyline4

I found a neat box that I took an X-link Bluetooth device, along with a 302 as a subset, and made mine into a Bluetooth attachment for my cell phone! Very fun to hear it ring in the house!

AL_as_needed

I too have an Xlink BTTN converter, have loved every minute on it.

I am leaning toward making a sub-set out of a WE 500, will need to find some sort  of box (or make one) to cram the ringer and network into.

After cleaning the phone off, the original finish was in pretty bad shape. I have polished the rough areas of the metal and repainted, but the end results are less than great. Anyone have any tips for respraying these?
TWinbrook7

Ed Morris

Are you going to leave it as a manual phone or put a dial in it?
Ed

AL_as_needed

Going to leave it a manual set for now. With my x-link if I do a slow tap to the switch hook on any of my phones I get the voice activated functions of my cell phone (in my case  Siri), so all I need to do is ask to call whomever from my contacts.

...if only I could get Siri to say "operator".... ::)
TWinbrook7

Haf

AL_as_needed

you brought me to an idea...just changed my Samsung Galaxy S-Voice wake up command to "Hello Operator". Thank you for that idea :)
Don't have the Xlink BTTN yet but it's on my wishlist.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Partyline4

Quote from: Haf on February 25, 2018, 03:31:55 PM
AL_as_needed

you brought me to an idea...just changed my Samsung Galaxy S-Voice wake up command to "Hello Operator". Thank you for that idea :)
Don't have the Xlink BTTN yet but it's on my wishlist.

Haf

+1

Haf

Here is the result. As long as no bluetooth device is connected I turned voice off in the settings. Comes close, only missing the "Number please" after calling for Operator. Wonder if that can be set somehow :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AL_as_needed

It even has the ma'bell "you'll need to speak up" attitude of an operator. With all the apps and other such things that can be downloaded for cell phones, it would not surprise me if there was an aftermarket patch that simulated a real operator. Or.... one should be created, rule 35.5
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

It has been quite some time but the '27 is finally up and running. It took three attempts to repaint it: First the metal wasn't quite clean enough and the paint cracked, Second shot had runs (oops), but the third one was just right.  ::)

Have a home-made subset from a franken WE500 set all packed into a simple wood box I made from extra poplar I had from a project ages ago. I put extra bells off a junk 302 on the ringer to give it a more delicate sounding ring.

Perfect, nope.... historically accurate/correct....not that either. Do I love it every bit as much as my other all original dates matching phones; you bet! Just need to hunt down a candlestick now.
TWinbrook7

RB

Congrats! always nice to get one workin.
Most of my phones have a piece of frank in them.
Not tryin to impress anyone with them, just use/enjoy them!
And cheaper!!! lol

AL_as_needed

Enjoyment I feel is the first priority with my phones. I cannot afford the true rare collector pieces anyway, so no point in pretending my finds are. Besides, Ma'Bell was a big fan of Franking-Up old phones, giving them a polish and sending them back out onto the front lines. 
TWinbrook7

RB

I could have worked for the phone co.
My background is old school, learn as you need it.
If its broke, and you need it...fix it.
What i am missing, is the field wisdom...
The stuff that gets you past the why was this done??
I really dont have a budget...so I go for the odd and less expensive.
Has paid off for me. I have a number of phones, and not a lot of money in them. :)