News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help getting my NE 302 to work

Started by PaddyWhack, May 27, 2016, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyWhack

So here's some info on the phone and what I've done, if the computer cooperates photos may come too.

It's an antique store find. The cords for the line and handset were frayed to the point of being dangerous, and I naively thought "meh, can't be that hard to replace" and bought it. It's metal, and came with straight brown cloth cords. It's not "pretty": it's got paint spatter and places where the original paint came off. On the inside it's marked "H-1" and all the dated innards of the phone are marked "4/41." The dial is the weird part. It's not a Western (or Northern) Electric dial, I'm pretty sure it's Automatic Electric. Why that is on this phone is beyond me, maybe you folks will have ideas.

I replaced the two cords with reproductions from Old Phone Works, tried to sort out online wiring diagrams and figure out the right connections, but it doesn't work. Period. I've got a relative with a working 302 and I opened it up to reference a working one...it was wired exactly like I had mine. So I'm stumped.

Regarding tools and such, I don't have any testers or anything. Might have people I could borrow some from though.

Some early photos of the thing before I replaced the cords...

andre_janew

The next thing you should do is post some photos of the insides.  Why?  Maybe someone will find something that you missed!

PaddyWhack

How did I know that would be the next question...

PaddyWhack

And for some reason, my picture of the bottom half of the opened phone runs afoul of security... *ugh*

HarrySmith

The dial appears to be stamped NE. I cant see the entire stamp but that's what it appears to be. There is a topic about getting around the "security" issue on here but 2 things I have used are: 1. make the picture smaller. 2. Try posting only one picture, then go back & edit to add more, 1 at a time.
Welcome to the asylum!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

I'm seeing something that identifies it as a Type 24 dial and I think it may be made in the U.S.A.

poplar1

A.E. Co.
TYPE 24
MADE IN
U.S.A.

(Automatic Electric Type 24 Dial)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

The A4H marking on the AE dial may indicate that the shunt pileup, with one pair "make" and one "break" emulates the operation of the WE 4H dial, making adding it to the H1 simpler.

the 1941 date suggests it may have been ordered under a military contract. Often AE or Telephonics dials were used instead of WE dials.

See;

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#TP6

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/12243-tm-11-468-substation-maintenance-signal-corps-12-54-ocr-r

The second is in the TCI Library, and can be found from the home page
  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

by searching for "11-468"

The second next question is to ask for a photo of the bottom of the set, to see if there are any markings that may help identify the history of the set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Your dial is quite proper for use on a 302.  It is an Automatic Electric Type 24 or 24A36 with the AK-29 spring assembly that makes it equivalent in electrical operation to a Western Electric 4H or 5H dial.

I have annotated the terminals in your picture with the designations as used by the WECo circuit drawings.  From what I can tell, the wiring is correct.

Many independent telephone companies who bought Western Electric telephones insisted on using the Automatic Electric dials and A.E. accommodated the demand with an equivalent dial configuration.

The dial appears very 'original' in the set, as the set still has the original rubber dial adapter (59A) that was available in the tan color only until the beginning of WW-II the US entered the war.

PaddyWhack

Here's the bottom...

PaddyWhack

Also, all this information...I'm getting hooked! Yeah, the interior pictures show before I added the new cords. Glad to know the dial is at least compatible, if only because the art deco dial card looks nice. On the other hand, I can't blame an incorrect dial for the problems, so the plot thickens.

Also, are Automatic Electric Type 24s supposed to be really sluggish? It feels weird compared to the Western Electric dials. Mere curiosity...

TelePlay

What does the WE emblem on the bottom of the handset hand hold area say, F1 for F1W?

unbeldi

Quote from: PaddyWhack on May 27, 2016, 08:45:48 PM
Also, all this information...I'm getting hooked! Yeah, the interior pictures show before I added the new cords. Glad to know the dial is at least compatible, if only because the art deco dial card looks nice. On the other hand, I can't blame an incorrect dial for the problems, so the plot thickens.

Also, are Automatic Electric Type 24s supposed to be really sluggish? It feels weird compared to the Western Electric dials. Mere curiosity...

Neither type of dial should be sluggish.   They do sound a little bit different, because of the difference of design.  In general I find AE dials to be 'smoother' and quieter.   I don't think WECo dials came up to the performance of AE's, nor to the ease of maintenance.

When I don't feel like disassembling a dial, I stick the entire dial, sans easily removed parts, such as finger wheel, number plate,  into the ultrasonic cleaner for a 20 minute bath with a shot of Dawn Powerclean.

You may simply try using an electronics contact cleaner spray.  Radio Shack used to sell a can in their stores. Haven't checked in a couple years though, a lot has changed at Tandy Corp.

unbeldi

I am sure you realized that the ringer is not connected.   Red wire goes to L1 terminal, and black to the K terminal on the little connecting plate, where it meets the slate wire from the condenser.  The yellow wire from the condenser completes the ringing bridge to the L2 terminal.

paul-f

Quote from: PaddyWhack on May 27, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
Here's the bottom...

Thanks.

Are there any markings on the other side (outside) of the bottom plate?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line