"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE1011 - general help needed

Started by shortrackskater, September 10, 2016, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

Thanks Jim!
For the life of me, I still can't remember where it came from. But it's always been in the bottom of my wire/connector/junk drawer since I was young. And now I can get Denny's senior meals...
Mark J.

Victor Laszlo

"The small dial was harder to use and some sets were upgraded? by adding a standard dial."

No, they were two different items. The pin dial was used in the field, so it wouldn't give you a perpetual bruise on the thigh from banging around on the tool belt. The one with the 6-type dial was used by the central office and PBX forces. That one came with the two-conductor plug/connector in the cord to allow the use of a bunch of different test lead ends.

Holding the set upside down by mistake is referred to as the "Eddie Albert Effect."

shortrackskater

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 15, 2016, 10:21:27 PM
Holding the set upside down by mistake is referred to as the "Eddie Albert Effect."

I love that one!  :)
Mark J.

shortrackskater

I've had a blast using this phone! It actually has great audio quality. I wonder what it felt like, though, to have this heavy contraption dangling off your belt on a daily basis? Of course I guess that was considered a "mini" phone for back then, right?
Mark J.

dsk

That Banjo thing, never seen it here, and this one: http://tinyurl.com/zwr6h5e is close to $42 shipping inc to here.
So I made my own. just from parts I had. 

I figured out that using it for telephone jacks (we use RJ45 here) it would be smart to connect the testwires at oposite sides to not short anything.  I did put in both RJ45 and RJ11 (6P4C) to fit most jacks. For the older jacks, I have to use an adapter.

The little box has 8 female banana jacks located close to the edge of the box.  Thestphones her does usually have banana plugs, but I have some with the angled crocodile clamps too, and both fits well.

The box is marked with color codes, and terminal numbers for the plugs, pair by pair. I am aware that other configurations of the pairs may be used.  Usually we use the 2 center pairs, but when using the same RJ45 as LAN and telephone jack, the center pair should be preferred, and pair 4 brown and white could be used.

dsk

shortrackskater

That's great. Thanks for posting. I actually thought about making one as well just using flat terminals soldered to a wire and then the RJ11. I like yours - looks like $42! :)
Mark J.

Pourme

These can be bought on EBAY for as low as $25.65 with free shipping the US. Don't have to pay $42
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

shortrackskater

I'm just going to make one myself. It looks quite easy. I'll spend the $25 on Starbucks coffee.  :D
Mark J.