"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spring Is Here

Started by 19and41, April 04, 2015, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 19, 2016, 08:52:26 AM
Dave, how much snow did you get this year? We haven't heard a word from you about the snow all winter!
Thing is its been a good year - not much to mention. In fact, yesterday  was over to the Museum for a few minutes after a two day thaw took away most of the snow. Last year at this time, I couldn't have even thought of getting in! We have been getting two day thaws every couple of weeks all winter!

Worse than that, after I took this photo, my wife totally lost it! See the photo below the first one! I suspect she is going to cut the grass tomorrow!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

At every Canadian stop on our Eastern Canada fall Colours Cruise last October (2015) all we heard about from tour guides was the record breaking bad winter the Maritimes had and all the snow. I had Dave's picture on my iPad of the guy declaring victory over the snow standing on top of the snow plow which I showed to people when they started talking about the snow.

Of course we had great weather throughout our cruise in October except for a bit too much wind on one particular day :(

Terry

cloyd

Our furnace decided to quit working yesterday, Thursday, and the new one is scheduled for installation on Monday.  What great luck that the weather is supposed to be in the 50's in February in Iowa this weekend!  I'm thinking of selling a kidney to help pay for it.
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Quote from: cloyd on February 19, 2016, 02:06:26 PM
Our furnace decided to quit working yesterday, Thursday, and the new one is scheduled for installation on Monday.  What great luck that the weather is supposed to be in the 50's in February in Iowa this weekend!  I'm thinking of selling a kidney to help pay for it.
Tina

I hear you. Our furnace quit the second week in January. Good thing we had a gas fireplace and a little space heater. Had to replace ours at a cost of $3800.00 CDN. For a Rheem 70,000 BTU 96% gas furnace installed.

Doug

andre_janew

Those new furnaces require a two stage regulator system.  If they are hooked up to a conventional single stage system, they will carbon up.  Once they do that, they have to be replaced.  Don't take it for granted that the outfit that installed it did it correctly.  Get someone else to make sure it was installed correctly.

Quote from: andre_janew on February 19, 2016, 07:52:02 PM
Those new furnaces require a two stage regulator system.  If they are hooked up to a conventional single stage system, they will carbon up.  Once they do that, they have to be replaced.  Don't take it for granted that the outfit that installed it did it correctly.  Get someone else to make sure it was installed correctly.

You are so correct. I didn't like the thermostat they installed, so read the manual. I discovered that it was a 2 stage and they had it hooked up as a single stage. So I went out and bought this thermostat a Honeywell Model # RTH9580WF1013/W. I also discovered that I needed to run new wire to replace the 18/5 over to 18/8 to use with the central air as well.  I could have just run three more wires, but I'm fussy. It pays to read the manual.

Thanks for the info.
Doug

DavePEI

Gee, guys - if I didn't know better, I'd think the title aptly describes the weather here today....

Feb 25 2016, 6 am, plus 10 c., 50 f. Today, drizzle changing to periods of rain this morning. Amount 10 mm. Fog patches. Wind south 30 km/h gusting to 50 increasing to 50 gusting to 70 near noon. High 10 c., 50 f. Tonight, periods of rain ending late this evening then partly cloudy. Amount 2 to 4 mm. Fog patches dissipating this evening. Wind south 50 km/h gusting to 70 becoming southwest 50 gusting to 70 then south 30 gusting to 60 near midnight. Low plus 3 c., 37.4 f. Note: Actual temperature at 9:30 a.m. was 14 deg c., 57.2 f.

All but some stubborn drifts on the edge of our property is bare. and it is pretty well shirtsleeve weather. What a difference from one year ago today!

An interesting note: Normally the geese migrate south, but this year, a relatively large number have over-wintered on PEI. If I think they have better weather forecasters than we do!

I haven't had time to take a photo today, but just look at the one I took last week - subtract at least half of the snow showing in it, and you will get a pretty good picture of the way it looks today. We have had none of that white stuff since I took that photo on Feb 19th!

Now that I have said it, we are probably in for a major storm, but not yet in the forecast!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

It was 69 F here yesterday and it's 42 today.  The robins have stopped theit travels here and they are doing their courting and sparking.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on February 25, 2016, 08:47:35 AM
An interesting note: Normally the geese migrate south, but this year, a relatively large number have over-wintered on PEI. If I think they have better weather forecasters than we do!

Might they have been scheduled to take off one day last October but it was too windy for flight? Had to abort the scheduled activities leaving their long awaited plans in limbo for yet another year. Have they been hanging around visiting the museum all winter as if prevented from doing what they really wanted to do after looking forward to it for a long time?

Terry

19and41

Maybe the birds just fly south until the weather gets tolerable.  We still have mockingbirds hanging around here.  They should be on south by now.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

It's amazing how birds seem to know that the weather will start to get warmer. Some years, we don't have a single day above 35 by late February, but the birds start chirping by around mid-February every year, so matter what the weather has been up until then.

At the end of last month, I noticed that a bush in front of our house started growing buds. We hadn't felt anything over 30 since November, but the plants could tell Spring was coming! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

I used to marvel at how the birds could work that out, but it is probably easy when they're out in it all the time.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Still some time left before the spring is here, but we had a nice sunset today.

dsk