News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Starting The Move To LED Lighting

Started by 19and41, February 17, 2016, 07:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I bought myself a couple more LED tubes last week, they arrived yesterday and I put them up inside the back shed on a modified (I.E. gutted & rewired) fluorescent light fitting, and they're pretty bright, and at 4000k they're not too yellow and not too blue, perfect colour... :)

19and41

They really look good compared to the fluorescents.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

They're pretty good tubes, only downside is in that fitting they shine out sideways (some LED tubes can be rotated to compensate, these ones can't unfortunately), hence the reflective material placed underneath the light... :)

19and41

That is the final consideration in selecting the lamp.  How it is oriented.  The one I got shines mostly forward and down.  It casts a good area light but doesn't dazzle when looking at it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well, the lighting must be making some difference, the power company has reduced next years' budget billing monthly amount by $16.  Not too shabby.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

One difference with LED bulbs and incandesce bulbs is that when you move out of a place you remove the LED bulbs and put back the incandesce ones.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

I do that anyway with bulbs I've fitted, can't be having someone getting free bulbs...  ;D

19and41

I have a few of these installed.  They have a nice bright white light and are coming closer to a reasonable price 2CV, I don't know if they have these adapted for your service, but if they do, they might be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-32287-Replacement-760-Lumen/dp/B00R7DFJYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467124698&sr=8-1&keywords=ge+brite+stik
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I just had a look at those, and, those are pretty ugly bulbs... :o

That and I'm not too keen on GE products, having had a couple of their CFLs send showers of sparks out of the light fittings, and one CFL even just falling out because they didn't rivet the bayonet pins in place properly, don't like... :o

There's plenty of LED options over here, some traditional bulb shaped things, some weird designs that look like they're from the set of Star Trek, and some are the LED filaments I like, still plenty of life in the remaining Philips brand CFLs though, when they give up they'll get replaced with LEDs I'm sure, for now I've got the LED lighting I wanted... :)

Dan/Panther

I purchased two as  a test. One for myself, and one for my Mom. They are shaped and appear as regular bulbs. We both love them, and the color match is like sunlight. GREAT for taking photos.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

I agree, as a bare bulb, or one that has to work with a bulb clamp the brite stiks leave much to be desired, but behind a frosted glass housing, they are difficult to tell from an incandescent lamp with the exception of being cool to the touch.  They are RFI free too.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

When you find a bulb that works well for you, be sure to make a note of the lumen rating (brightness) and the Kelvin number (color) that helps in finding the characteristics you like.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

I saw 2x4 LED troffer style lights for $60.00 @ home depot. I just may try out a couple.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm officially fed up with halogen lights! They use more energy (most in the form of heat), are dim, too yellow, and don't last long at all. I installed 12 halogen lights for my phone display 1 1/2 years ago, and all but 2 of them burned out. I replaced them with 35, 50, and 75 watt LEDs, with a slightly cooler color temperature. These are much brighter and will probably last much longer.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

Anything that reduces the ladder time is a good thing.
— Arthur C. Clarke