"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please measure your T key.

Started by dsk, May 08, 2014, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi
Sitting here in Norway needing the key, the easiest are to make one, but I need some measurements, could you please help?
I need the measure for the letters on the picture.

dsk

My guess from the pictures are approx 3/16" on A, and abut 1/2 of that on all the others.

ESalter

Here are measurements of a stamped out Protel T key just like the one you pictured.  Since you're from across the pond, I set the caliper to mm.  It's stamped from steel plate 3.30mm thick.

A = 5.63mm (not really relevant)
B = 3.41mm
C = 2.41mm
D = 2.46mm

I also measured a real WE 719A key which is made from bent steel rod and a roll pin.  Here are the measurements from it:

A = 6.31mm (diameter of the rod)
B = 3.10mm (diameter of the roll pin)
C = 3.10mm
D = 2.50mm

Hope this helps!
---Eric

HarrySmith

Are these supposed to be the same tool? There are some differences between the two, a full millimeter on one measurment and over half on another. Do both of these work properly? If so that would seem to indicate a fairly large tolerance in the lock.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

They are.

They do.

There is.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dsk

Thank you, should be possible to make one.
The measurements in mm are great, guessed it was more easy to get them from you in inches  ;D

I observe the pretty great differences and would like one more measurement, the totoal with of the T  who should be equal to  C x 2 + A

dsk

ESalter

They all seem to work, all they need to do is fit in the opening and operate the skate rails or vault door, so not really anything overly secure.  They're more of a tool than a "key".  The bent rod WE ones hold up a lot better than the stamped ones, also.  I've seen some formed Protel ones that have a dowel pin(solid) instead of a roll pin(hollow) at the end.  Be wary of that kind, the total length of the pin is too long and they don't want to fit in the opening in the side of the phone without grinding some of the pin off of each side.  Even then, they can't take much force or you will snap the pin off.

Anyway, your "2C+A" measurement on the stamped key is 11.20mm and on the WE tool it is 12.35mm. 

---Eric

dsk

Great, thank you, ;D I think I have one almost ready, now it is just to wait for my payphone, it is in the mail.
The pin is too long, but its better to adjust it when the phone arrives.

dsk

dsk

Its working, had to reduce the length of the pin to 12mm.
Could have made it more rough, measured a little, and the conclution are: