News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Change Payphone Upper Housing from Touch to Rotary?

Started by robrings, December 16, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robrings

If you could take some good pics of the upper unit and lower unit I would be eternally grateful. I have been searching the internet trying to find pics but these single slot rotary phones seam to be pretty scarce. Must have all been converted to touch tone.

ESalter

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=10332&Itemid=2

There's a link to a BSP that covers 1C type phones.  I have a 1C1 also, I can take some good pictures of the inside of mine tomorrow just in case they're different. 

You made a comment about them being converted.  Just 2 days ago I opened up a 1D2 and the inside of the upper housing was primer gray.  I had to take the dial assy off to get the upper lock out.  When I did so, the hole through the front of the housing for the dial looked like it was cut out with a torch - absolutely ridiculous.  You can tell it used to be a rotary upper housing that was converted.

Like I said, I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I have a spare dial terminal assembly.

---Eric

G-Man

Quote from: robrings on December 25, 2012, 03:24:52 PM
Here is a link to the images of the phone base i am using and the rotary head internals. You can see the broken/cut red wire in the head, and the cracked plastic terminal block in the head. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for this head. But come up empty handed.

http://s300.beta.photobucket.com/user/ringwar/media/DSCF1204_zps0addc7d1.jpg.html

The photographs make it difficult to tell which red wire is cut.
I do see that the coin relay has  been removed, and is the coil missing from the ringer as well?

If so, then the red wire may have been cut from the ringer.

You were wise to obtain a rotary telephone to test your Charter box.

You should also download the wiring diagrams for your payphone from
the TCI Library since they will give you a better idea as to what is needed.

robrings

If you look at the close up pic of the plastic terminal block on the upper assembly the second down from the top left screw has a red wire that is hanging off and stripped, it goes to the hang up switch, when i reconnected it i got no dial tone. My lower assembly that is in the pic has been used daily with no issues placing or receiving calls with a touch tone upper assembly i have. I just wanted to have a rotary single slot Bell in my old indoor Bell phone booth. I will rob the plastic terminal assembly from my touch tone upper if I have to. because if i get the rotary working i'll have no use for the touch tone upper.

ESalter

Here are some photos I took today.  Hopefully between photos and the schematics in the BSPs you will be able to figure it out.  There are two sets of photos here, first are the inside of our green 1C2 touchtone(converted to a 1D2, actually) and it has an aftermarket dial assembly, it seems.  The other set are the inside of our black 1C1 rotary, it has all original parts.  Hopefully you can see what you need.  If there is any confusion about wire colors, let me know and I'll take a look at it to verify.

I have an extra TT upper housing I was hoping had the style terminal strip you need, but sadly it didn't.  It had a newer circuit board type dial assembly in it. 

---Eric

robrings

All my wires look the same as yours with the exception of the yellow on the second down from the left, that my cut red wire is connected with. Yours doesn't have a yellow there but does on the upper right terminal. I swapped this to see if it made any difference, none. Guess i'll have to twiddle my thumbs until the home use rotary i bought shows up to test my charter box.

Argee

Upper housing

lower housing 1

lower housing 2

as you can see there are supposed to be some disconnected wires on that small block

robrings

Again, that upper housing looks the same as mine with the exception of the 1 yellow wire, top left second down, where you just have a red, i have red and yellow. My home use rotary phone will be here today or tomorrow so i can test my charter box. My lower assembly is different, but i wouldn't think it would matter all that much. All the upper unit does is produce a tone, or in this case a pulse from the contacts in the rotary wheel. I am betting my charter box doesn't work with pulse dialing.

robrings

Well, the rotary house phone showed up. Works fine with my Charter phone service. So something is up with this payphone.

Argee

Are you sure its's been modded to work without coins?

DavePEI

Quote from: Argee on December 28, 2012, 11:15:20 AM
There is no mod whatsoever needed on these phones to work without coins. Just connect up L1 and L2 to a normal line and it will work as a home phone - only thing is it won't collect coins.

Personally, the thing I would check is that the dial contacts are operating correctly. If they aren't opening and closing properly, this is exactly what will happen. When you attempt to dial a number the dial tone pauses like you are dialing, but after it is done spinning you get the dial tone again.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

robrings

Thanks Dave, That is going to be my next avenue. And my lower unit has already been used for months as a house phone with a touch tone upper. I assume i clean the contacts with a piece of card stock as with all most electronics contacts?

Quote from: DavePEI on December 28, 2012, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: Argee on December 28, 2012, 11:15:20 AM
There is no mod whatsoever needed on these phones to work without coins. Just connect up L1 and L2 to a normal line and it will work as a home phone - only thing is it won't collect coins.

Personally, the thing I would check is that the dial contacts are operating correctly. If they aren't opening and closing properly, this is exactly what will happen. When you attempt to dial a number the dial tone pauses like you are dialing, but after it is done spinning you get the dial tone again.

Dave

DavePEI

Quote from: robrings on December 28, 2012, 11:49:54 AM
Thanks Dave, That is going to be my next avenue. And my lower unit has already been used for months as a house phone with a touch tone upper. I assume i clean the contacts with a piece of card stock as with all most electronics contacts?

Yes, but most of all, check the movement of the contacts. There is one which will open when you start dialing (hmm, or does it close. Have to look at one - at any rate, check to make sure it changes state when you begin dialling), and one set which pulses as you dial. Pay particular attention to the first, make sure it operates as it should, and that it is clean; also pay attention to the wires that go to that set to make sure they aren't cut.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Way back from Reply #7:
Quote from: AE_Collector on December 24, 2012, 06:13:27 PM
If you can switch hook dial, pulse dialling is working on your phone line.

Maybe the usual thing such as contacts on the back of the dial bent slightly?

Terry

Sorry, I couldn't resist any longer!

Terry

robrings

Well it's not the dial. I have 2 contacts that close once you start dialing, these have 2 yellow and 2 white wires. And i have a set of contacts that are closed before you start dialing, this does the pulses. I am getting 10 pulses for 0. It must be in the wiring of this upper unit. Because you are suppose to be able to hear the pulses while dialing correct? Because i can't.

And if you are wondering how i know i am getting 10 pulses on 0 is because i used some aligator clips and my multimeter to check on the 2 blue wires.