http://www.ebay.com/251366700808

:P
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

I think their swiss claims are full of holes... ;D

Sargeguy

When exactly did the "Swiss Stromberg-Carlson Works" drop Swiss from the name???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Contempra

for the wiring, no difference..Quality ?, not sure. ::)

TelePlay

For posterity, the orange phone.

Sargeguy

Quotefor the wiring, no difference..Quality ?, not sure.

It's not really a Swiss phone.  The seller is claiming, in what has to be one of the most egregious examples of eBay puffery in a while, that the 500 clone i  "Swiss Made" because Stromberg and Carlson were Swiss immigrants.  :o
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 06, 2014, 10:56:03 PM
Quotefor the wiring, no difference..Quality ?, not sure.

It's not really a Swiss phone.  The seller is claiming, in what has to be one of the most egregious examples of eBay puffery in a while, that the 500 clone i  "Swiss Made" because Stromberg and Carlson were Swiss immigrants.  :o
Swiss? Hmm. Those names sure sound Swedish.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 07, 2014, 12:30:59 AM
So it's a Swedish-American?
Yes, if you wish to call it that way. The company really is very much American.

In my collection wiki I have written the following entry for the company (excerpt):

Stromberg-Carlson Co. was an American telephone manufacturing company founded in 1894 by Swedish natives Alfred Stromberg and Androv Carlson. It was one of the largest suppliers to independent telephone operators outside of the Bell System.

In the 1890s, Stromberg and Carlson were employees of the American Bell Telephone Company. With a $500 investment from each, the company was founded in the year Alexander Graham Bell's telephone patent expired. Originally located in Chicago, it was reincorporated in Rochester, New York, in 1902 after a hostile take-over attempt by Western Electric. In 1904 the company was purchased by Home Telephone Company, a service provider in Rochester, which relocated operation to Rochester. In 1955 the company was acquired by General Dynamics.
In the mid-1900s, Stromberg-Carlson expanded its product line to also manufacture radio and television sets. In 1970, the company delivered the first CrossReed PBX, of which more than 7000 were delivered globally in the next decade. In the 1970s the company developed the first fully digital PBX, the DBX model line.
In 1982, General Dynamics sold the company by divisions to ComDial, United Technologies, Plessey (UK), and the final part to Siemens AG in 1991.
Siemens Stromberg-Carlson became the third largest vendor of central office switches in the United States. It had a combined installed base of five million access lines. They continued to manufacture the Siemens DCO as well as the Siemens EWSD from the Lake Mary facility, moving production of the EWSD from New York to Florida.
In 2006 the DCO line of Siemens Stromberg-Carlson was sold to GENBAND, a next-generation networking company based in Texas.

Phonesrfun

The seller's description first claims Swiss, then later on says Swedish.  Truly a multi-national American phone, and only $149 plus shipping.  What a deal.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

QuoteTHIS PHONE CAME FROM A COLLECTION OF ONE OF THE FIRST TELEPHONE REPAIR MEN IN THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA AREA. WE HAVE MANY OTHER PHONES FROM THIS COLLECTION, ON AUCTION OR IN OUR EBAY STORE "UTIQUES ANTIQUES".

Western North Carolina did not have telephones until the 1960S???  Or did they just not repair them?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 07, 2014, 01:05:03 AM
The seller's description first claims Swiss, then later on says Swedish.  Truly a multi-national American phone, and only $149 plus shipping.  What a deal.

Swiss/Swedish, it's all the same.  When I found my Swiss T29 in a shop, it was labelled as a "Sweden phone", so the terms must be interchangeable.  ;)

Larry

Sargeguy

No no no... Swedish is interchangeable with Norwegian and Danish but not Finnish. ;)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that one moment the base has a modular socket for the line, then has a short length of cable with an RJ11 on it? ???

It's a frankenphone, of sorts... ;D

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 07, 2014, 08:04:19 AM
No no no... Swedish is interchangeable with Norwegian and Danish but not Finnish. ;)

I know that Danish is interchangeable with French because the Danish phones I see listed are often described as "French" ;)

Larry