News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

my latest finds

Started by bushman, April 13, 2010, 06:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

Here are some of my latest finds. Warning they are not all cleaned yet. I have some questions on some of them but I get to that after the pics

Bushman

AE_Collector

The AE80 is actually an AE81 due to the little signalling button up in the cradle area. Not the most common "AE80" out there at all.

Terry

bushman

That was going to be on of my questions. What was the button used for. And what kind of number card escutcheon should this have. That is a metal dial.

Bushman

AE_Collector

Quote from: bushman on April 13, 2010, 07:29:16 PM
That was going to be on of my questions. What was the button used for. And what kind of number card escutcheon should this have. That is a metal dial.

Bushman

Looking at the AE 81, I don't know WHAT is going on with the dial/fingerwheel/numbercard. Here's my guess though, the copper looking washer and big felt thing are "washers" allowing the screw to hold the fingerwheel in place. There should be a number card assembly there similar to the picture below. This is an 11 digit AE dial but was the best picture I had on hand of the number card assembly. Just the number card assembly is made up of 5 pieces in total including the screw, outer card ring, brass lever thing, steel plate that pushes the number card forward and the clear plastic cover.

Terry

AE_Collector

And speaking of AE81's....here's one for Jorge. No it isn't mine.

There are several variations of the AE 81 including this version with two buttons. Off hand I can't recall all the options but two lines is NOT one of them. That would be an AE 82 involving a turn key to the lower left of the dial.

The AE 81 button can be used as a buzzer button, ground start button for power fail "Open Tip" PABX trunks, and likely other things as well.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

The AE81 looks like someone used an ordinary screw and a washer to hold the finger wheel instead of the proper screw and retaining bracket which look like this:

LarryInMichigan

At any rate, those parts are easy to replace.  Steve Hilsz or adele0283 should have replacements.

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: ae_collector on April 13, 2010, 09:03:22 PM
And speaking of AE81's....here's one for Jorge. No it isn't mine.

There are several variations of the AE 81 including this version with two buttons. Off hand I can't recall all the options but two lines is NOT one of them. That would be an AE 82 involving a turn key to the lower left of the dial.

The AE 81 button can be used as a buzzer button, ground start button for power fail "Open Tip" PABX trunks, and likely other things as well.

Terry

The two buttons near the cradle are for extension exclusion.  One button cuts off the extensions and the other restores them.  Extensions are also restored when the handset goes on hook.

This feature seems to be fairly scarce.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bushman

So I ran upstairs and took the screw out and all of the pieces are indeed missing. I will check my stock before I bug anyone else for replacement parts.
On another note, The metal housing 302 without dial has an F1W handset. Does that mean it was sold to a company outside of Bell? And should I strip that paint off of the subset and refinish it, or leave it as is?

Bushman

paul-f

If it was originally attached to the subset, it shouldn't be a 302.

It's probably an AA-1!

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Single

(Scroll up to see where to find the mounting code on the back of the set.)

bushman

Yes you are right!! And thank-you for educating me.

Bushman

AET

Looking on the list, I just recently saw one of those elevator phones somewhere, can't remember where, may have been here or ebay.  Wish I would have known what it was, very cool.
- Tom

paul-f

The elevator phones seem to turn up on ebay fairly frequently.  Be patient and you'll score a nice one.  I personally prefer the ones that come with the frame or mounting box.  Good luck!

Dan/Panther

Is the elevator phone the one in the second photo with the wooden case next to it. The space saver phone ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

I believe the elevator phone mentioned was found on my site...
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#322