News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picture of Stans Controller Guts

Started by Payphone installer, December 22, 2018, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

The best we can do is pursue our own ideas and then share the results with the forum.  It is a hobby with no right or wrong answers, especially on common payphone hardware that will never be used in service ever again.  And single-slot 1A relays are readily available for modification if needed - I think the only difference is the shape of the plastic trigger - correct?  I believe the big appeal of Stan's EBay-sold external controller was:

1) Proven design in a neat package and available at a fair price.
2) Timed ability to collect/return coins to simulate CO operation.
3) The super-cool delay in relay operation after hang-up which also faithfully simulates CO operation.

That 3rd item is kinda important if you're old enough to remember using a 3-slot.  If the relay operates immediately on hang-up, some folks (like me) will notice something isn't right....  The 100% original payphone requirement is very nice also - no relay modification needed.

Anyway, many members here have the ability to confidently build a controller of different design (I do not), and I think that's great.  The more ideas, the better!
Paul

bobv

updated info

DB1 - Full Wave Diode Bridge 200V 2A
IC1 - LM555CN IC Timer

these 2 parts are changed

bobv

Quote from: Payphone installer on December 29, 2018, 03:27:09 PM
All this has already been done guys it is called a smart chasis it is made by Protel amoung  others. When a Protel Chasis was new they cost 1200.00 each. The reason being is the ability to detect a answer. A answer can be determined two ways. By way of patented answer detect or by reverse battery on a answer. The problem is and always will be enough voltage to fire the relay. It takes a lot that is why the Protel and others all originally had power supplies. Later when smart sets reached the point of not needing the transformer it was a great advancement. The problem was the duration of time the voltage was applied. What Stan did on modifications of the relay to make it fire on low voltage was brilliant. He also did not  have the advantage of any type of answer detect. So he used timers to accomplish that, married to assumptions. He also had to understand the relationship between the payphone and the central office as they work in conjunction. Anyone who thinks they are going to just build a controller without understanding the relationship between the CO and the payphone Good Luck. The Protel chasis is the most advanced controller anybody would ever want. It could be mounted in a Ringer Box below the phone and with the proper wiring would be the best controller on the planet. There would be hurtles to overcome, like pulse dialing and no coin tones but that could be dealt with. I will be sitting here waiting to see who builds a controller first but I honestly beleive it won't happen because it requires knowledge and money. It is not a simple task.

Answer detect controller just cost $5-$10

Payphone installer

So want software talks to the answer detect board?

bobv

this is protel design working with Nortel Millennium payphone. With minor modification (circuit, reprogramming), this works for other pay phones. voltage should be 24VDC.

bobv

Nortel Millennium payphone

Payphone installer

You didn't answer my question what software. Answer detect is a listening to busy,ring,sic tones, and voice. The board does not listen the software does. The board allows it to listen. So you deposit the coin,you dial the number the software sees the deposit,the software reads the coin in the chute,the software dials out on the line by way of the PSTN the software detects a answer by use of answer detect. A  Millennium payphone is a dumb set or what I like to call a hybrid it does not work by itself it used Central office supervision, it did not use answer detect. Why would it need it,it worked in concert with the CO,it rated by use of the CO. Do you understand what a smart set is? Do you understand central office supervision? Do you know what a sic tone is, or reverse battery? A protel board for instance can be set up as a smart phone with answer detect or as a dumb set hybrid that collects and returns of of central office supervision. So in a Millennium how does the phone detect coin presence? As I said earlier this is not as simple as some seem to think.

bobv

I found another place...make Stans controller and enjoy it!! very simple

https://aisler.net/

Direct  Stans controller Link  https://aisler.net/RebeccaRGB/playground/payphone-coin-relay-controller#

Later I post Answer detect or Reverse battery board information. very simple

bobv

Any one wants Answer detect or Reverse battery board?  they can make minimum 50 boards(including all parts)  :(.  Price $10-$15 per Board(+ shipping). We don't need any backend software. just hookup with payphone power board it work. I got some for myself it is working great. no software needed.  :)

Key2871

Can I just make a suggestion, before you go crazy cutting and chopping, try removing the small coil return spring and check operation. Because, the one I had years ago I used idle line current (48) volts to operate my relay, and it worked like a charm.
Give it a shot, even before you build your circuit, connect the phone line right to the relay and trigger it with your finger, it should snap closed then reset.
Just an idea, before you go and modify your relay.
KEN

rdelius

If you have a single coil relay in your 3 slot, would it be possible to use with modification a lower voltage single slot relay?.Save your old one to restore it back in the future.

Jim Stettler

Returning to Stan's simple mini-controller  (ATCA 2561). He designed 2 other "option" boards for use with the controller. The first one was for ring detection, the second is automatic switching of the hopper between refund and collect.
The article about them is titled "Mini payphone controller part ". I have the first page (of 9) in hand and the  date I printed it  is 2/7/2009. I probably have the rest of the article packed away somewhere (or not).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you decide to  modify a relay, I would buy a spare relay to  modify.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Jim, I'd be interested in seeing those circuits. Because it would be helpful.  Ken
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on December 31, 2018, 01:45:53 PM
Jim, I'd be interested in seeing those circuits. Because it would be helpful.  Ken
I had forgot about the option boards. I found the cover page among some loose papers. The circuits  are posted somewhere and in the same detail as the original mini-controller, There is a good chance they were also in an ATCA newsletter from that time frame.. I think I packed the other pages with my kits. They are probably in a box marked payphone. I have many payphone boxes. with many more boxes blocking the way. Eventually they will turn up.

If anyone can find a copy of the 2 different options board. please post them to the forum.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I did a Google Search, and came up with several versions of circuits for ring detectors, but also looked for ground start circuits, but only one came up for BT but it wasn't very legible on my smart phone.
KEN