News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEW Purchase

Started by HarrySmith, January 28, 2020, 07:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently spotted a manual 302 on eBay with a BIN. The base and feet looked like new so I made a ridiculously low offer of $7.50 which was accepted. Shipping made it $20  even. I got it yesterday and when I opened it I found it is a 306 from 1953. I am a happy camper😁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Black-Western-Electric-Desk-Telephone-No-Handset-For-Parts-or-Repair/124043522509

EDIT: I don't know why I am getting sideways pictures suddenly, never had this before. Can a moderator flip them for me?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry.....I can't see the date but it looks like a Northern and not a Western. That's why you have the '35 date..Doug
Kidphone

RB

Nice phone Harry!
So, wutz the diff between a 302, and a 306???
Regards

HarrySmith

Yes, it is a Northern. Also my dyslexia must have been acting up, dated 53 not 35.

306 has the gas tube for ringing. Wrapped in the cardboard tube.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Dan/Panther

Is the capacitor in the paper wrap also, or doesn't the 306 use one ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

Harry, once you get it restored and working.... if you try to ring the bell via the gas tube and it doesn't work, then replace the 195-C cap with a 195-A and wire the bell like a regular 302 with the gas tube wired ALSO... and you will get it to ring strong... I have a 306 with the tube also and when I tried to test the ringer I got a real poor jingle... I added the cap and with both of them, it works ok....  I think the cap does most of the work, but I left the tube wired to keep it as original as possible.
John

HarrySmith

Thanks for the tip John. I will try to remember that. There are a few projects ahead of it so it will be a while! The capacitor is under the tube in the regular bracket, hard to see but if you zoom on the inside picture you can see the edge of it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

yeh, on mine I had to remove the tube to get to the cap... once that was replaced I was able to remount the tube...
John