News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British GPO 312 found

Started by countryman, February 05, 2020, 04:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

British phones are not seen frequently here in Germany - so I could not resist when this one appeared for 20 € BIN on eBay with only domestic shipping cost. The shell is cracked, everything else is just fine on this phone. It has all dates matching around 1957, a No. 12 dial, braided cloth cords in good condition and it's original London dial card - Clissold is an exchange in London if I got that right. Jack was kind enough to answer my questions upon the wiring diagram and the function of the "Call Exchange" button here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23473.msg235163#new.
What belongs into the neat drawer in the phone's base? I found some labels here: https://www.britishtelephones.com/traylab.htm but these are for different exchanges? Would any phone have a label in accordance with it's individual exchange or could I use one of these labels?

The receiver diaphragm was missing, without further ado I cut one out of the lid of a jar once again. The sound is OK, would the original diaphragms stamped "Ferrosil" sound even better?

The previous owner glued the crack apparently with polystyrene based glue, but failed to align the pieces properly. I soaked the crack with lacquer thinner to soften the glue and started over. I had to trim the breaking edges a little to re-glue the pieces aligning with the original surface. I will order black "Milliput" modelling putty as suggested by FABphones to complete the repair as good as I can. I'm open for further advice...

I connected the white and the red wire together and used these and the green wire to hook the phone to my VOIP adapter and that worked. I could dial out right away, but had to short out the thermistor to get a ring. Either the thermistor is broken or my adapter's ringing power is too weak to activate it.
Depending on the polarity of the connection I can use the "Call Exchange" button as a makeshift flash button to make internal or external calls on the VOIP adapter.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on February 05, 2020, 04:07:26 AM
...What belongs into the neat drawer in the phone's base? I found some labels here: https://www.britishtelephones.com/traylab.htm but these are for different exchanges? Would any phone have a label in accordance with it's individual exchange or could I use one of these labels?

...The previous owner glued the crack apparently with polystyrene based glue, but failed to align the pieces properly....

The Directory Drawer card would have been for the area local to where the phone was installed, but any card will be fine in there. I have several where the phones have moved home and the cards changed, it's nice to have one in there. I will take a look and see if I have any for the London area and add a photo/scan if I do.

I have a few of these phone bodies in a spares box, unfortunately they may all have damage, but I will take a look and see what I can find, there may be one with less damage that I can donate if needed.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Thanks CJ, a scan or photo of a London area directory would be pretty cool...
I'll try my luck on fixing the crack. It's an eyesore in the picture above but not as annoying when the phone sits on a desk, as all corners of the structure are intact and the damaged area is not very exposed. I wonder how that happened, the phone must have taken a strike with a sharp object. Was it a murder attempt?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on February 06, 2020, 03:23:19 AM
I wonder how that happened, the phone must have taken a strike with a sharp object. Was it a murder attempt?

Some party line subscribers were outwardly hostile towards their fellow party!

Jack

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on February 06, 2020, 03:23:19 AM
Thanks CJ, a scan or photo of a London area directory would be pretty cool...

Found one for Kingston (upon Thames) which is Greater London, only 10-14 miles from your dial card location of Clissold (borough of Hackney).

ETA: Upon inspection after scanning, the Directory Card is Kington. Have added below should it be of any help to anyone.

I have others which are packed, if I come across a closer location I will add.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Thanks a lot CJ, I'll print that out to the right size and add it to the drawer.

I did the Milliput bakelite repair now. That stuff is easy to work with. It's not as black as bakelite, but definitely an acceptable approach.
Before and after:

tubaman

That repair has come out well - I'd now try a bit of boot polish on it to see if that will disguise it further.
:)

ThePillenwerfer

That appears to be fitted with the later Receiver Insert No 2P, as it should at that date.  With the proper Diaphragm No 25 these sound as good as anything that's been made since.

As for the case I've fixed things like that by spray-painting the damaged area.  Cases turn-up on UK e-Bay but I dare say the cost of international postage would be prohibitive.

countryman

Project finished. After experiments with a leftover chunk of hardened Milliput I decided to stain the repaired parts with a felt tip pen, a generic black CD marker. Using filler and then painting would be the last resort. But as it is now, it is OK for my taste.

I made a couple of diaphragms from lids of Lidl supermarkets pickled gherkin jars  :) . They are totally flat and have the right gauge and strenght.