News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An Oddball Model

Started by Craig T, January 20, 2010, 01:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

A 514 BM (no idea what the BM is for). The schematic I found lists a GE 46 mini lamp as optional in place of the plug. Lots of wiring I do not understand either.

Dennis pointed out that the two plugs on the back serve as a headset jack.

Thought I had a mushroom phone, but the bottom of the phone said otherwise, the toggle switch is on the other side and the plug is not a light. It has unseated a newer black 500 and is now sitting on my phone shelf.

Jim Stettler

The M is for modular. I have had some of these headset phones. Both rotary and TT. I always thought they were neat.

I like any of the oddball sets. They add variety to your collection.
Well worth displaying.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bellsystemproperty

That is an interesting set. Look at how the ringer volume is on the side of the phone instead of the bottom where it normally is. I always leave my 500s on one setting, loudest. Jonathon gave me a 511 that is two line, but the switch is on the lower lift. The two lines do come in handy, the second line is connected to my cell phone. ;D

Dennis Markham

McHeath

There are several phones of a similar nature on e-bay right now.  They are 2500s, early 70's, hardwired and the two line switch is one of the hookswitches.  

The placement of the ringer control is an interesting update on the design.  Placing the volume control so that it can be adjusted without turning the phone over is a very different design philosophy than the original control knob placed on the bottom.  From what I read in the 1949 press conference to introduce the 500 they were not expecting people to adjust the ringer volume much, if at all.  

Craig T

Thanks everyone! I found a beige modular cord in my phone parts to go with this (there was a white one on it).

Well that cord did not make the cut. Here are some updated photos of it now after the shine.