News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just got an AE 50!

Started by finlover, January 24, 2010, 01:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

I've always admired the streamlined look of the "jukebox" wall phone.  When this one came along I had to have it!  In my opinion, it's an Art Deco masterpiece.  This is the deluxe version with a chrome fingerwheel and banded handset caps (standard was all black).  It's neat how bakelite has kind of a swirling grain to it.  And it's definitely denser than thermoplastic--this sucker is heavy!  Hope you all enjoy my mediocre photos.  It really does look better in person.

finlover

more shots

Phonesrfun

Beautiful phone and it has the Extensicord too!

-Bill
-Bill G

finlover

Yep, I was able to score a new in the package Extensicord for $40.  I'm tempted to leave the hang tag on it, Minnie Pearl style! :)

Doug Rose

Stunning. I'd leave the tag on, your phone looks brand new!....Doug
Kidphone

ntophones

Stunningly beautiful--congratulations! It is gorgeous--I love the chrome trim. I know you are really going to enjoy that phone!
--nto

teka-bb

Stunning indeed. Was this a NOS one or something? Or did someone refurbish this phone?
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

LarryInMichigan

How did you get one that is so perfect looking?

finlover

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen!  Restoring phones is my little hobby.  On this one I wet sanded with 1000 and 2000 grit paper, hand polished it with Novus 1 and 2, machine buffed it, and finally used a good carnauba car wax on it.  You have to be careful with bakelite not to sand through the black layer to the brown substrate.  The Monophone decal is a reproduction and the fingerwheel is new.  The cloth behind the side vents was missing, so I found a close match at a fabric store.  Amazingly, the chrome bands, housing screws and hook switch were all nice without any rust, so a little chrome polish was all that was needed.  

Dan

Wow- beautiful!!! My favorite wall phone.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Absolutely Beautious! May I ask what you paid for it (before the $40. Extensicord)? The AE50s with chrome with no chips/cracks seem to go for around $100.-120. or more on Ebay in my observations, from six or so months ago.
-Matt

finlover

I paid $100 for it.  I probably would have been able to find one cheaper if I had been patient.  This one was in pretty nice condition to start with and it was functioning.  Being unfamiliar with these, I didn't feel confident buying a "project".

LarryInMichigan

Finlover's looks much better than mine.  I paid $25 for mine, but it was in pathetic condition, and a chunk of the shell is missing on the left side.  His $40 cord looks better than my dollar store cord.  At any rate, it is a great phone and my primary kitchen phone.

Larry

ntophones

I have never gotten bakelite that beautiful! I use Novus 2. I don't know if mine just start out kind of grainy and dull, so, I don't know that I can get that much of a shine with mine, but, wow, wow, wow! That takes my breath away.
Did you not have to do anything inside?
--nto

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Greg.  Nice job!