News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric 6 S1 D1 With No Dial ...Several Questions

Started by Rotorman, September 22, 2019, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotorman

Recently picked up this attractively styled phone in beautiful shape despite its lack of a rotary dial.  I took it apart (see picture) and it left me with several questions. 
1.  Might this phone have been used in a hotel room to receive calls only?  I see a faded tag under the circular retainer ring and clear plastic, but there's no number on it  (I would guess the phone might have been assigned to a room?).  Any clever suggestions for a room number welcome.   
2.  Right under the central Bakelite ring (removed for picture) there were 4 wires with spade lugs connected to its underside that have no apparent destination.....I assume they connected to models that had the rotary dial, correct?   
3.  If the phone was indeed used in a hotel, might someone know what hotel chain used this type phone, and in what era?  Were some rooms designated for incoming calls only?  Any background info appreciated. 
4.  Underside reads Model 6 S1 D1 St. Line Ringer.  Can someone fill me in on just what that means?  The guts have a tag that reads H-199 S-7.  I would guess the phone just might still ring with the proper adapter for the 4 prong wall connector going to a modern land line, correct?  It would make a cool looking ringing extension set.
      note;  couldn't see the .jpg pic on the preview button....are there file size restrictions....I don't see them specified right off.       

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Rotorman on September 22, 2019, 08:00:20 PM
Recently picked up this attractively styled phone in beautiful shape despite its lack of a rotary dial.  I took it apart (see picture) and it left me with several questions. 
1.  Might this phone have been used in a hotel room to receive calls only?  I see a faded tag under the circular retainer ring and clear plastic, but there's no number on it  (I would guess the phone might have been assigned to a room?).  Any clever suggestions for a room number welcome.   

Why would it have been used in a hotel room rather than anywhere else? It has no dial so it was used somewhere on a common battery manual exchange. The phone is from the late 1940s so there were probably plenty of those about.

2.  Right under the central Bakelite ring (removed for picture) there were 4 wires with spade lugs connected to its underside that have no apparent destination.....I assume they connected to models that had the rotary dial, correct?   

They look like the wires that would connect to a dial. They should have been connected to the terminals on the dial blank.

4.  Underside reads Model 6 S1 D1 St. Line Ringer.  Can someone fill me in on just what that means?  The guts have a tag that reads H-199 S-7.  I would guess the phone just might still ring with the proper adapter for the 4 prong wall connector going to a modern land line, correct?  It would make a cool looking ringing extension set.
      note;  couldn't see the .jpg pic on the preview button....are there file size restrictions....I don't see them specified right off.       

I don't know what all the codes mean but clearly it is a model 6 and has a straight line ringer.  The code "H-199 S-7" is for the wiring diagram using an AE type dial or at least, a dial with contacts like AK-25.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/north-electric-1/1967-north-7h6-desk-set-with-north-or-ae-dial-h6-s7-tl/file

Jack

tubaman

That's a nice phone. Those North Electrics are often referred to as Galion Phones as they were made in Galion Ohio.
As @Jack Ryan has said it could have been used on any CB manual exchange. You'd just lift the handset to connect to an operator, who'd then connect you through.
With the straight-line ringer it should work just perfectly on a modern line once you've rewired it.
:)

FABphones

Quote from: Rotorman on September 22, 2019, 08:00:20 PM
Recently picked up this attractively styled phone in beautiful shape despite its lack of a rotary dial.....

.....Any clever suggestions for a room number welcome.   

The Galion is a beautiful design. I am quite fond of CB phones and that one will display very nicely.

Re a room number, it has to be '237' (I wonder how quickly someone will recognise that number).

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on September 23, 2019, 05:08:44 AM
Re a room number, it has to be '237' (I wonder how quickly someone will recognise that number).

Speaking of neutrons, I had an interesting problem at work where neutrons hitting an embedded controller caused the micro-controller firmware to crash. I had to implement a software version of radiation hardening while the hardware guys caught up (18 months).

Jack

Rotorman

Thanks for the answers.  CB exchange?  I knew I was on the wrong track when I googled cb exchange and got directed to the Coldwell Banker website, and later found it meant central battery.  It's making more sense now, and I'd guess the hotel guest would simply pick up the receiver and be connected to the desk to make their call.  The central Bakelite disk that's in place of the dial on this phone does have screw terminals on its underside to neatly retain the 4 spade lugs to keep them from shorting.  As for room #237, yeah, I picked up on it (actually it was #217 I believe).  Clues for the cinematically challenged:  .....heeeeeer's Johnny!!  redrum redrum redrum.  I wonder if drop-in dial mechanisms for this phone are still floating around.  I notice these Gallion phones don't command much money on the 'bay.   

FABphones

Quote from: Rotorman on September 23, 2019, 10:51:01 AM
....As for room #237, yeah, I picked up on it (actually it was #217 I believe).  Clues for the cinematically challenged:  .....heeeeeer's Johnny!!.....

Room #237, movie (room #217, book).

Or, a more light hearted option - Room 101.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Yeah, that's a nice phone!
Hope you find a dial for it.
Nice addition to the collection! :)

HowardPgh

Most of the North "Galion" phones are fitted with Automatic Electric dials. The dial requires a crescent shaped adapter with three holes to sit properly in the opening. Lucky guy, you got one with a straight line ringer.
Howard

andre_janew

There's probably a wiring diagram on the condenser that shows how the wires are supposed to be on the dial blank.  This way you can use it without a dial until you find one.