News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$94.99 fair price to pay for refurbished #4 dial?

Started by Bridie, March 31, 2015, 09:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

Hi guys, after taking a long break from vintage telephones, I'm back into restoration mode on my WE 202 D1 and am now getting serious about getting it done.  First up is the dial.  I'd love a #4 but that's stretching my budget a bit so thought I'd make do with a #5 or #6.  But I saw a nice refurbished #4 selling online at Old Phone Shop for US$94.99.  It's stamped 4H on the back and is dated 1936.  According to some research I did, it appears to be one of the earlier ones (stamping on the back) converted from a #2.  With shipping to Canada I can get it for a total of $135. I have no idea if that's a good deal or not. Here's the link: [size=78%]http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/western-electric-4-dial.html[/size]

There's a 4H selling on ebay just now for $75 US but it needs work and is missing parts, so with shipping costs that likely wouldn't be such a deal? [size=78%]http://goo.gl/MnrB7Q[/size]

All this, keeping in mind that I'm in Canada, so my options are limited and shipping will always be high.

What do you guys think?  Should I go for it?

Bridget
Bridget

Dan/Panther

Bridget;
Try Steve Hiltz. He is in Arizona, and has every part known to man considering telephone.
I don't have his contact info, and it doesn't come up in my search.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

stub

Bridget,      Here's the web site for Steve Hiltsz  -    http://navysalvage.com/                          stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

tallguy58

Seems a bit steep for a 4H. I once paid $64 for one. I'm sure you can get them cheaper.
Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I bought a couple of them at the 2014 Michigan show for $35 each. They were in good working order.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Bridie

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm happy to report that I've been in contact with someone here in Canada who is going to sell me a 1931 4H for a very good price and the shipping won't kill me  8)   I ordered a few other parts from OldPhoneShop and now I think the only thing I need is a restored, working seamless E1 handset.  I've tried everything to get my E1 apart but it's just no good.  I admit defeat.  Besides, I'd need to replace spitcup, receiver cap and ring, and the components inside likely wouldn't work either.  May as well just get a "new" one and pass on my knackered one to someone who might be able to do something with it.  So I'm going to keep an eye out for a good deal and am hoping to have the phone finished and ready to test in a couple of months.  I can't believe I'm finally getting my butt in gear and am going to make this happen  :o
Bridget