"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Just Won a Kellogg 900 with an E1

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 15, 2010, 08:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370417823520

The seller described it as being in "fair condition", but it seems to look pretty good in the small, blurry pictures.  For some reason, nobody else wanted it though.  I am anxious to get it and see.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...real nice. If the spaver is broken as it appears to be, I think I can find one to replace it ......nice find.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

The spacer under the receiver cap appears to be cracked, but from my small amount of experience, that is common and easy to fix with a drop of super glue.  I will let you know if I need a replacement.  What I probably will need is another appropriate Kellogg handset.  I already have a complete Kellogg 900 with original everything but with a few small chunks missing from the bottom edges of the shell and missing the rubber feet.  I guess that it couldn't hurt to have two :)

Thank You

Larry

Phonesrfun

Larry:  Excellent price!

Are you going to leave the E1 on or replace it with the Kellogg handset.  Frankly, although not  correct, the E1 doesn't look half bad.  Since I have a 102 sitting right next to my 900, I tried the E1 resting on the cradle of the 900.  Again, it looks ok, but the E1's spit cup is too long.  It winds up contacting the base of the "ash tray" part of the 900, and in the process the handset does not come fully to a rest against the cradle.  The receiver side does come in full contact, so the handset winds up sitting on the cradle at a small angle.  The transmitter side is held up to the tune of about 1/8".

This could place wear marks on both the tip of the spit cup and the bottom of the dimple or "ash tray" in the phone body.

Great fine!.  Cheers,
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

I do not plan to keep the E1 on the Kellogg base because I do not like the way it looks.  It just looks wrong to me.  I have a dial-less B1 base with an E1 handset which is in less than great condition, so I might use this E1 with the B1 base and look for a Kellogg handset for the Kellogg base.  These questions are largely academic anyway, since I do not have the time to do most of this, but the plans are fun.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

It arrived today, and I was rather disappointed to discover that the Kellogg 900 shell is empty, except for a hook switch.  I do not know if someone removed the guts or it was made this way originally.  Both the base and the E1 handset have been painted (and not particularly well).  I have just started the paint stripping process, so it will be a while before I know if the bakelite is in good condition.  There are no serious breaks or chips in the bakelite, except for one bottom corner of the base.

Larry

Phonesrfun

My 900 was just the shell and a hookswitch too.  Mine was apparently wired for a magneto subset, which was still part of the phone when I got it.  So, essentially a 900 could be just the mount, the switch and the handset, which would have been the equivalent of a manual WE 102.

I seem to remember that at the time, I went back to a Kellogg catalog and confirmed that these came with and without the internal induction coil, condenser and ringer.

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

I just looked at the 1936 Kellogg magneto catalog, and it shows a 900A which is to be used with a standard magneto subset.  I have a Kellogg 900 with an internal network and ringer, so they apparently made them both ways.

I have removed much of the paint from the E1 handset, and it is actually in pretty good condition.  The spit cup has very little damage.  So, if I get a good E1 out of this, it alone will be worth more than the $41 that I spent.  The 900 shell might also be worth something after the paint has been stripped.  It has some less chipping around the bottom edges, but probably less than most.

Overall, the situation could have been worse (like a box of bakelite shards or a fake).

Larry