News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Cards

Started by Doug Rose, March 05, 2016, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

To me, half of the joy of finding a new telephone is finding an original dial card on the phone. Even more joy is finding a beautiful earlier edition underneath. a twofer!!! I have had dial cards made up to have my phone number and they look great, but still no perforations so a pro can tell.

Nothing to me is worse than seeing a great old telephone with a "Wait for Dial Tone" reproduction dial card. They are way too shiny and detracts from the beauty of you antique art, yes your telephone is art.

When I first started collecting I had no clue on dials, "how do you tell a #4 from a #6." Now I know and correct dials on a phone are as important as the phones themselves. Dial cards make the dial which intern makes the phone...... Just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Well said, Doug. Unless you phone did not come with the original dial card, then I think it would be better to find an age appropriate card rather than blank dial.

Ben

Mr. Bones

I agree wholeheartedly with the both of you, gentlemen.

Dial cards are a HUGE allure, to me, at least. I have bought some mongrel phones, solely for the purpose of obtaining the Dial Cards.

I would like to see a "Child Board" appear, in the appropriate place on the Forum, for Dial Cards. I have saved countless examples of my own, as well as from online, for future reference, and potential reproduction.

I would like to see all others have saved / documented, giving me even more options.

Moderators, if you please....

Many thanks, and Best Regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

oldguy

I agree with Doug, the hidden dial card is the most fun to find. I discovered this on the 1st phone I ever bought, a WE 233G. I was with my new at the time wife, in the mid to late 70s, at a department store in San Jose CA & saw payphones for sale. It seemed like weird place to sell old payphone but they were so cool I had to buy one. Obviously the start of something that didn't expand until many years later. When I got it home & was playing with it I took the dial card holder off & found this one the funky one that was showing. I thought, how cool a 4 digit phone number
Gary

AE_Collector

Since you are still able to find this topic you already know that John has created a dial card area here
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=103.0 And moved a ton of past dial card topics to the new area. Good suggestion Mr. Bones and good job TelePlay.

Terry

andre_janew

Here is one I saved from a Leich phone I bought some time ago: