News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow Stromberg Carlson 1543

Started by Doug Rose, January 20, 2010, 04:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Okay folks, help me out. I purchased this on Craig's list and I just received it. It is perfect cosemetic condition. I haven't opened it to see if it works. It has about 25 feet of JK that is bare on the end. My question is , What's it worth? Bingster....I will be posting it on eBay this Sunday when I can get better pictures. You all have been right and I have been oh so wrong on 500 set values, though this is not a real 500 set, What's it worth??....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Wallphone

Nice phone!
I have a beige and a light blue one.
A couple of nice looking pink ones sold recently for between $75 & $100.
If you have Dooner's "Telephone Collecting  -- Seven Decades of Design" (blue cover) go to page 58.
There are two there that I would like to have in my collection some day.
One is dark blue, & the other is dark gray.
I don't recall ever seeing those two colors, or a yellow one on eBay.

Doug

McHeath

I'll give you 10 clams. ;)

It's a very nice phone, and rather rare methinks, value unknown to me. 

Dennis Markham

Doug, I don't believe I've seen yellow either.  And that looks like a nice yellow, with no darkening from UV exposure.  I have seen Aqua and Light Beige.  For the common colors I'd guess $45-75 but with that color it may go higher.  Some of these have a frequency ringer.  Is yours a straight line?

Jim Stettler

I have an one in Ivory. I bought it at an Antique mall this Summer. They wanted $85.00. I think I paid around $60 w/ tax.

It was more than I was wanting to pay, but I bought it anyway.  I was passing thru so it was a now or never chance .

Locally,  I would of held out to around $40, or would of tried to work out a cash+ trade. Many of the Mall dealers will do some buying and Trading.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dewdrop

Here's a recent auction for a yellow Stromberg Carlson that ended with Buy It Now. It was late when I came across it and checked the next morning and it had ended.

Debbie
Debbie

Jim Stettler

I have been told that the SC 1543 was made in at least  13 of the WE colors.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on January 20, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

Jim S.

The missing color is Aqua. SC did make an aqua Princess style, so has anyone seen an aqua SC 1543.
I have never heard of a sighting of a SC1543 in clear.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on January 21, 2010, 09:00:15 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on January 20, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

Jim S.

The missing color is Aqua. SC did make an aqua Princess style, so has anyone seen an aqua SC 1543.
I have never heard of a sighting of a SC1543 in clear.

Jim S.

Vern P. Tells me and Mark Scola confirms that the early sets had porcelin dial plates. Mark also confirms an early Aqua (Per ATCA list server).  This is the missing color? Mark S has 13 + a 2-tone Rose.  My other source Rick F. Has 13 colors but not aqua.

I guess these sources should join the forum and get it all hashed out.
Jim S
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Jim, I'll second that. (Joining the forum).

I have only one of those---a Moss Green.  At one time I had one in color.  Early on and I sold it on eBay.  I wish I hadn't.  I can't remember what color it was.  I'll have to look and see if I still have a photo of it.  With my luck, it was Aqua.

~Dennis

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on January 20, 2010, 04:29:08 PM
Okay folks, help me out. I purchased this on Craig's list and I just received it. It is perfect cosemetic condition. I haven't opened it to see if it works. It has about 25 feet of JK that is bare on the end. My question is , What's it worth? Bingster....I will be posting it on eBay this Sunday when I can get better pictures. You all have been right and I have been oh so wrong on 500 set values, though this is not a real 500 set, What's it worth??....Doug

A lot of people (including myself) use ebay to get an idea of what people are generally paying for an identical item, but even then, ebay sales prices can vary widely for the same item.  Don't ask anybody here, we want to steal it from you!   :)

What I don't understand is why you are selling it?  I thought the whole idea (at least in my case) was to buy the phone, take pictures, post it here, type about it for a while, then if it needs any kind of cleaning or work, it becomes an OMS project (Oh Maybe Someday).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

You are 100% correct, except for two things in my world. I have run completely out of room for new phones, once a new one comes, an existing one has to leave. Secondly, I don't collect phones from this era, no matter how cool and this guy is cool!! I just don't have the space. I purchased it on the cheap for resale. I hope I haven't offended anyone by putting it on the forum this way. I was a question and not fishing. It was not intended to do anything more than get the forum's opinion. ....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Clean it up, polish it, test it, put a dial card in it, and my guess is you could get $50 bucks out of it.  What year is it?  Maybe find a matching yellow line cord, although that part might be difficult.  With a matching line cord you could probably get a little more.  Here's a good dial card for it:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e