News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Storing & Organizing Lots of Phones

Started by HobieSport, December 28, 2009, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I used to have a program years ago, DOS based that would allow you to Alphabetize, sort by several different means, print selected lists, but as computer progressed, it seems to have gotten way to complicated to use, or just doesn't exist.
I used to be able to type in a long list of words, and push Alphabetize, and the list would automatically Alphabetize. Don't they have anything like that anymore.
I could type in a color, and everything of that color would display.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I'm sure in today's computer age that there is a program that could be adapted for this use.  I'll have to check with a buddy of mine who is on top of the latest and greatest and see if he knows of such a program.

I have kept files on each phone in my collection, simply by making a folder for each phone and putting photos in the folder.  But that's as far as I've gone.  A book keeping program such as your filing method would be nice.

HobieSport

Dennis, I asked my step son, Ken, (a very advanced computer pro,) about the best database programs we might use. I told him the kinds of things some of us might like to try doing with a database to keep track of the phones. I wont be using a data base myself, at least for a long time, but I'm going to quote Ken's recent response to me here. Believe me, when Ken talks about software, I listen:

"Matt,

I highly recommend "OpenOffice Base" database management software.
It's free, extremely powerful (if needed), and uses open standards
(can easily move your database to other programs). http://www.openoffice.org/

The learning curve can be steep if you want more advanced features, but
the "Database Wizard" should get you up and running. My guess is that
the "Asset" "sample table" in the "Use Wizard to Create Table" is what
you need.

It might take a little bit of reading to get the hang of it, but once
you do, everything you learn can be used with any other database.

The only potentially tricky part is setting up
the tables (it's like a template). After that, it should be nearly as
easy as using any other spreadsheet application.

I also hear good things about Kexi ( http://www.kexi-project.org/ ),
even though it is targeting web application development.

-Ken"

Personally I'll use D/P's method of using paper forms in a single binder, and that's the the same info (I would guess) that could be put into a database/spreadsheet later.

-Matt
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Thanks Matt to you and your step-son.  When the dust settles from the holidays I'll slow down at take a look at those.

bwanna

thx matt (&ken). i use open office spreadsheet to keep track of my antique biz inventory & sales. that gives you an idea of how easy it is to use, if i can figure it out ;D

i think for the phone stuff, i will use dan's log book idea. i can keep the book right with all the inventory.
donna

McHeath

I'm at that awkward age in human life when one still thinks one has the blindingly fast total memory recall of youth, but in reality the cogs of the mind have started to slip. :)

So my current phone catalog system is in me head, cuz' I can remember it all.

"That's the black 51', or wait, was it 53', no, I'm sure it's the 51' and I'll just turn it over and, huh, well it's a 55', didn't know I had a 55', hmmm"

Gotta start writing it all down.

HobieSport

I started re-boxing today. It was really fun, with some good surprises. Right now all I'm doing is a quick overall gander at each phone and re-boxing them from all kinds of cruddy old different sized boxes. I only open up the phones for a quick look inside if they are of some special interest.

I just write a brief line in pencil on each new box for each phone with basic info for now, such as:

"WE 500 6-54 Good Cond." or "K 1000 Redbar, Nice!" or "WE 302 12-37 w/'42 ringer, Very Nice!" I got twenty phones nicely re-boxed tonight this way.

One thing I fear now though. I've been saying that I have about 50 phones. Now I think I may have more than that.

It's going really well though. Now that I've got my routine going for this simple first but very important step, it's going really smoothly. And each time I open an old box is a new surprise. It feels like Xmas.
-Matt

bwanna

kudos on a productive start on the new year, hobie.  :)

i just love that "christmas" excitement when sorting thru boxes ;)
donna

HobieSport

Thanks Bwanna; I boxed yet another twenty phones this evening. I'm getting it down to both a fun routine and a fine art. I worked very calmly and carefully tonight and just for fun I timed myself. On average I'm doing one phone every five minutes.

Working and living in the long trailer (32 foot) in the Pullman style is certainly proving to be very convenient, efficient, and enjoyable. I felt like I was working in a postal railroad car while processing the phones.
-Matt

Jim Stettler

A lot of collectors store phones in "telephone" boxes. This makes a lot of sense since the boxes are designed to hold a telephone, somewhat, safely and in the least space possible.
You can make a custom sticky lable for the end,  You can also tape a plastic sleeve on the end and change the lable as needed.

The only way to get these boxes in bulk is to order them, As with any new box, the price ea.  always seems a little high. If you think of it as a reusable box that protects a phone, then you can justify the price, basically with a little care, youcan use the box for your forever.

I do know a collector who bought a bunch of these boxes for his collection..
If anyone is interested I can try to get the info for the company and pricing info.
I don't currently use phone boxes, an d I won't anytime soon.  But they are nice for a lot of storage situations.
Just a thought,
Jim S.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Most of my collection for the time being is boxed and in my new abode's attic.  Today was the first "warm" day (64F) we've had in Seattle for a while.  I was up in the attic during the warmest part of the day and noticed it was quite warm and stifling, at least 15-20 degrees warmer than outside.  Believe it or not, Seattle area does get hot during the summer, sometimes into the 80s or even 90s.  This wasn't a problem when I had them stored in a closet in my small apt, and it didn't seem a problem when I first stored them in the attic in cooler weather, but now I'm wondering if I should try to find some other place in this house to store them.  I'm talking about 60-70 phones stored two to a box.  Space is really cramped here, I don't have many options unless they will be OK enduring probably upwards of 90-100 degrees for several months. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, just ship them to y'all and you'll take good care of them, but I would get very lonely w/o my collection and would probably have to come and live with you.  Anita wouldn't like that.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yeah I don't think real hot or real cold for extended time frame is very good for plastic. We stored plastic dolls in the attic for too long and they were not in good shape afterwards.

We had a half decent weekend and day today in Vancouver as well. It has been a damp, cold, windy winter....

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I would worry that the plastic might warp in a hot place.

Larry

liteamorn

I would also be concerned about moisture up there. While moisture is usually vented in attics it is not as "controlled" as it is in the house, might be a rust and corrosion issue.

HarrySmith

Although we do not have such things here in South Florida I would not store my phones in an attic or basement due to heat & humidity.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"