and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - March 2013

Started by AE_Collector, March 01, 2013, 01:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - March 2013

Kleenax's 1958 Light-Blue/Soft Plastic KELLOGG DK-554 from a Dumpster
11 (33.3%)
Kleenax's 9 AE 182 & 192 10 Button Starlites also from the Dumpster!
5 (15.2%)
tptech302's Brown Stromberg Carlson 1543 on ebay for a BIN of $50
6 (18.2%)
cchaven's old rose colored '52 302 won last week ($?)
3 (9.1%)
zapper's Western Electric 1660 A1 Card Dialer dated 11-64 with 3 packs of cards - free
6 (18.2%)
zapper's WECo working 500U white with transformer purchased on Craiglist for $25.00
12 (36.4%)
DavePEI's AE 34, bought for $100 including a brand new line cord and an Extensicord!
7 (21.2%)
LarryInMichigan's $49 green 302 with no corner cracks
24 (72.7%)
L M Ericsson's Blue de Luxe PTT type T65 from The Netherlands on Etsy for 29 Euros.
3 (9.1%)
davidbholcomb's 99 cent Kellogg 1070 Red Bar with Magneto Base
7 (21.2%)
WesternElectricBen's Moss Green all matching dates 12-55 500 for $25 from an Antique Store
5 (15.2%)
WesternElectricBen's Five AE Starlites for $17.50 and $22 shipping
3 (9.1%)
unbeldi's green WE-302 ($?) & 1957 green WE-500 / thick gray cords ($25 etsy)
7 (21.2%)
unbeldi's second old rose 302, a $371 eBay win last weekend
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for March 2013 here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

kleenax

Here's my find of the month for March-2013:

Something you don't see every day:

1958 Light-Blue/Soft Plastic KELLOGG DK-554!  And yes it is true; I have never seen one before! It is surprisingly great shape considering that I found it in a dumpster! It should clean up nicely. I will post "after" photos too ;D
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

unbeldi

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: kleenax on March 15, 2013, 01:39:32 PM
Here's my find of the month for March-2013:

1958 Light-Blue/Soft Plastic KELLOGG DK-554!  And yes it is true; I have never seen one before! It is surprisingly great shape considering that I found it in a dumpster! It should clean up nicely. I will post "after" photos too ;D

Have you been dumpster diving in Pennsylvania?

kleenax

Quote from: unbeldi on March 15, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: kleenax on March 15, 2013, 01:39:32 PM

Nice!

It's even got that vertical telephone number!

Heh; I didn't get that at first;  ;D  Had to go look at the pic again!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

OK, after unloading more boxes that I picked up this last weekend, I have a 2nd "Find of the Month" submission (from the same dumpster:)

There is actually 1 more Black deskset, and it's the nicest one! I forgot to put it in the photo!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

unbeldi

tptech302

Not sure this really qualifies, but picked this brown Stromberg Carlson 1543 on ebay for a BIN of $50 It was one of those last check before bed finds.

Overall it is in really good shape except the handset cord which I need to find a replacement for, it has a porcelain dial face. The only date I can find is on the receiver and transmitter both dated  in 55.

I have a few of the 1543's now but never really been sure how to date them. Only this, a red one I found at a flea market and 3 gray 1575's have the porcelain number plates.

cchaven

I've never nominated a phone for find of the month, not even my '37 302,  but I'm rather happy with the old rose colored '52 302 I won last week, so I'm nominating it.

Jeff

AE_Collector

Quote from: kleenax on March 15, 2013, 05:33:18 PM
OK, after unloading more boxes that I picked up this last weekend, I have a 2nd "Find of the Month" submission (from the same dumpster)

What is it with you an 10 button Starlite's Ray? I have one from ebaY and you find them by the boxfull!

Someone tossed these in the dumpster because they were all missing buttons.....

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: tptech302 on March 15, 2013, 09:40:17 PM
Not sure this really qualifies, but picked this brown Stromberg Carlson 1543 on ebay for a BIN of $50 It was one of those last check before bed finds.

Overall it is in really good shape except the handset cord which I need to find a replacement for, it has a porcelain dial face. The only date I can find is on the receiver and transmitter both dated  in 55.

I have a few of the 1543's now but never really been sure how to date them. Only this, a red one I found at a flea market and 3 gray 1575's have the porcelain number plates.
TP: can you post some better photos of this SUPER RARE 1543 please? Clean that lens on your camera! Thanks in advance.

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 16, 2013, 01:45:12 AM
What is it with you an 10 button Starlite's Ray? I have one from ebaY and you find them by the boxfull!
Someone tossed these in the dumpster because they were all missing buttons.....

Terry

Dunno Terry; I seem to draw them like mosquitos!   ???
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

tptech302

TP: can you post some better photos of this SUPER RARE 1543 please? Clean that lens on your camera! Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Ray I took some more with my camera the first were with my android, don't have the best lighting here.

Is it really that rare? I run into them around here from time to time, but have never seen one in brown. I picked this one up on ebay. It is in pretty decent shape, I have done nothing to it other than blow a bit of dust off of it. No cracks a few very minor scratches, in need of a new handset cord though porcelain dial face is very nice.

Bottom marked SPECIAL 1543W K Only dates I found are on transmitter and reviver both 55

Josh Meyers

zapper

Posting 2 items for find of the Month:
I purchased this Western Electric 1660 A1 Card Dialer dated 11-64. transmitter, receiver, cords etc are all dated 10-64 or 64..  Has 2 packages of P24E238 cards and 1 package of P-13E363. The pictures show how it was found in its original box.  I left the box since it was deteriorated.  The mounting cord was chewed, resulting in the red conductor being broken.  The handset has a brown stain from laying on the cardboard for 49 years and wont come out.  All the dirt came off and its sitting in the to do box. The cost is negative since I have sold some of the other items I purchased with it.

Also submitting  a  W.E. working 500U white with transformer purchased on Craiglist for $25.00.  I ordered a "Cap" for the light. The dates are all over the place.  Cover is 73, network is 10/58, Dial is 12/66 and the bell is 58.   
Zapper (Steve)

kleenax

Quote from: tptech302 on March 17, 2013, 03:12:59 AM

Ray I took some more with my camera the first were with my android, don't have the best lighting here.

Is it really that rare? I run into them around here from time to time, but have never seen one in brown. I picked this one up on ebay. It is in pretty decent shape, I have done nothing to it other than blow a bit of dust off of it. No cracks a few very minor scratches, in need of a new handset cord though porcelain dial face is very nice.

Bottom marked SPECIAL 1543W K Only dates I found are on transmitter and reviver both 55

Josh Meyers

Josh;

I have to tell you that I still have about 100 of these 1543's, and have seen many many of these, I have NEVER seen an all-brown version such as your's.  I do have 3 brown bodies, and a couple of brown handsets, but I have never found a brown number ring or brown plungers  :'(

The 2-tone versions, with a brown body and black number ring & handset bring over $100 on eBay when I list them, and I would imagine that your's would bring over $200 easily if listed; it IS that rare, yes. It could possibly bring $300+ if you had a couple of bidders that really wanted to own it. Course, I suppose you could say that about any phone on eBay. Still, I just wanted to emphasize how desirable your dark brown really is.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC