News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Terry, it looks more like an AE base in the photos -- taller and fatter than WE.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Here's a #6 dial and 4 rough condition 302 feet for $145, but with free shipping . . .

Had a nice shell and handset at some point in time.

TelePlay

And then there is this waste of what once was a very nice D1 with an E1 handset . . .

Jim Stettler

I dislike telephone lamps ,however, I do buy them if cheap and use them in my phone room as...lamps. I will rewire them if  they are dangerous (original cord as the lamp cord, 110 thru the hookswitch ect.). I prefer a 3 way socket with a turn switch on the socket when I use them. I also use lighted payphone signs for lighting.
Jim S.

As far as the recent D1 w E1 I noticed it has a white house dial center.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on May 14, 2016, 11:59:13 AM
I dislike telephone lamps ,however, I do buy them if cheap and use them in my phone room as...lamps.

I agree!

I will never make a lamp phone but will buy them cheap if I think they will look good after stripping paint, all new electrics with a switched socket and polarized power cord and a new shade. Here are two sitting on my desk (the one on the right now has a dial and the one of the left now has a base plate).

Doug Rose

I also have a three candlestick lamps in my phone room. I did not make them lamps, but they serve the purpose. You have to see the phones in the room when the sun goes down....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Now here is an odd take on the phone/lamp melding. A cell phone built to be a lamp.....
TWinbrook7

compubit

Ran across this one on eBay...

To quote the seller: THIS ITEM IS ONE OF A KIND MULTI LINE TELEPHONE LAMP IN  GOOD WORKING CONDITION

My response is: Wrong! I somehow bet that it won't work as a 5 line 10A2 phone any more...
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

He may only be making that claim because it has a compact flourescent bulb!

AE_Collector

Quote from: compubit on June 09, 2016, 11:58:35 AM
My response is: Wrong! I somehow bet that it won't work as a 5 line 10A2 phone any more...

Well, it never was an (AE) 10A2 phone but point taken and I agree, chances are pretty good that it no longer works properly as a phone. It is (was) an early AE 87 3 line / 3 hold phone with all clear buttons. The only give away that it is Not an AE 86 10A1/2 AKT phone is the signal key that was supplied only on 87 sets.

Terry

TelePlay

Another Junior Achievement masterpiece . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Telephone-Phone-Lamp-Rare-A-Junior-Achievement-Co-Bell-System-Western-/122012270551

. . . and it appears to be a metal shell on top of that. Not much achievement here.

compubit

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 11, 2016, 12:55:04 AM
Well, it never was an (AE) 10A2 phone but point taken and I agree, chances are pretty good that it no longer works properly as a phone. It is (was) an early AE 87 3 line / 3 hold phone with all clear buttons. The only give away that it is Not an AE 86 10A1/2 AKT phone is the signal key that was supplied only on 87 sets.

Terry
Thanks for clearing up the model number - I hadn't seen one without the red buttons (until this weekend in Lancaster). Still sadness...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

EdTel

Quote from: TelePlay on May 14, 2016, 11:40:20 AM
And then there is this waste of what once was a very nice D1 with an E1 handset . . .
Good grief, that's just sad..

TelePlay

Quote from: EdTel on July 03, 2016, 12:10:29 AM
Good grief, that's just sad..

. . . and on that theme, of just so sad . . .

. . . there is this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-202-Rotary-Telephone-Repurposed-Lamp-One-of-a-Kind-/131900481401

Now, if the seller just restored an existing atrocity, I'd have to say nice job. A bit high in the asking price but a nice looking phone and shade.

But, if it was the seller who drilled the handset and most likely stripped the inside, they should be charged . . . and committed.

One less D1/E1 in the world, either way.

compubit

Even worse is the new Bell logo... At least put the correct logo for the time period of the phone!

Jim