News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

October 30th, 1938 - War of the Worlds broadcast.

Started by Greg G., October 30, 2012, 08:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Strange, isn't it? 74 years later and the world is still filled with panic.

Mr. Bones

What a historical broadcast that was!

I'm glad to see that someone is as interested in OTR (Old Time Radio) as I am. I listen to far more hours of OTR per day than I watch TV, been an avid fan since the early '60s...even have done some radio broadcasting, and writing, myself, as well as sound effects work...
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

We had a radio station that played "Old time Radio Shows" every night for three hours from 9 till midnight but eventually they switched to all talk and now it is sports from 9 till midnight. I grew up listening to those shows through the 70's!

Terry

BDM

Click the link. Just to the left you'll see "flash player". Click that for a 24/7 stream of radio programs off all types. Most from just before WWII until the mid 50s.

http://radio.macinmind.com/
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mr. Bones

BDM,

Thanks for the great link, yet another great source of streaming OTR. I listen that way when busy, to avoid having to search for specific shows in my files.

After much looking, I joined up at RUSC.com, and they do both streaming, and downloadable shows. I can set up a queue, and listen for hours, or load up my HDDs with stuff for later. I do lots of both, and get my $5.00/month worth. Nice folks, too. Nope, I am not affiliated with this site.

I also highly recommend OTR.net; all streaming, no queues, but lots there to enjoy. Best of all, free!

I have several Thomas Collector's Edition arch-top BD109s placed throughout the house, amid my antique radios, for listening to these shows; they have a RCA jack on the back that allows me to hook up most any input source of OTR to play through them with the proper cables, adapters, etc..

To the best of my knowledge, only the BD109 and BD110 have these jacks, and they are readily avaliable for cheap. The later models all seem to have a really tacky-looking cassette deck grafted quite visibly into the side, and ruin the effect of antiquity, much less the convenience of feeding them from a better, and more convenient signal source.

I use Sansa Clip+ mp3 players in some locations, others are fed by my computer(s). Guests seem to really enjoy the old shows this way, rather than playing them through my stereo, etc.

For me, there's always been something captivating about having the lights low, or off, and having the dial light of my radios be the focal point.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus