News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

555 timer circuit for 120VAC

Started by benkeys, November 19, 2012, 02:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Any one have any easy 555 timer(or any other type) circuits for 120 VAC? i think i want to make some of my christmas lights flash at different intervals. I'll be using the mini lights, which are anywhere from 35-150 count stands of 2.5v/3.5v bulbs, and i want maybe 3-4 sets to flash.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Bill

Just my opinion, but I think the circuitry for a 555-based flasher will get a little elaborate. Power transformer/rectifier/filter/555 circuit/several passive components/triac, plus line cord, sockets, mounting box, and all the mechanical-construction parts - it is just a little much. Go online (start with Amazon) to find a number of simple plug-in flashers for about $5. I'm sure there are other sources, probably including your local Ace Hardware. Although you don't get a screwdriver-adjustable flash rate, you can change the rate by changing the load, since they are thermal.  For a faster flash, just plug a 25-watt or 50-watt bulb into the circuit somewhere.

Just my thought. I love projects, and I've done this one, but as I say, it got to be too much.

Bill

benkeys

I thought about plug flashers, but had no idea they were thermal. I thought everything would flash at the same rate. They are 5.25 new at menards,which is better then ebay prices. Although i'm going to check my local ACE retailer and see what they cost there. Seeing as they are thermal, the more of a load i put on them the slower it will flash. So i can get 2 of them and put un even loads on them and achieve different rates. Thanks.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Bill

Not that it matters, but I bet that a bigger load current will heat the heater faster, and make it flash faster. Either way, let us know what you find.

Bill

AE_Collector

I have seen CHristmas light (or maybe LED lights) strings with a buil in control box that can be set to do all sorts of different patterns. Probably dirt cheap as well.

Terry

TelePlay

Ever see those over lit homes that have different strings turn on and off to music? Here's one.

http://youtu.be/rmgf60CI_ks

Only a cool $10,000 for this project.  :D

Or this one, in colour!

http://youtu.be/gOyN9CawB8w

benkeys

The multi function lights, theyre not cheap somewhere in the ball park of 10-15.00 a set for the normal miniature ones, not LED..  I seen of of those videos on youtube, i'd like to do that but it will never happen. I know it doesnt come cheap or easy. I seen of of just the controls on ebay for a couple hundred each with lots of bids.. mainly light o rama brand.

TelePlay

Ben,

This is the site I used to design a 555 circuit to flash a light on a 565 phone. Used a 9 VDC transformer to run the circuit and trigger a 6 VDC relay on pin 3 and ground sending 10 VAC from another source across the relay to the light.

It was a lot of work and moderate cost but it worked. I suppose you could put two variable pots in the circuit to adjust the cycle on the fly. You may find other circuits out there using Google. 555 and 565 chips are cheap on eBay. The relay off eBay had a 6 VDC coil and the relay contacts were rated at 220 VAC.

But, you would have to build one for each independent string and I don't think that is worth the effort. Got to be an easier way. Play with the resistor values to see if you can come up with the timing range you may want.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#astable

Here's a link to a handy resistor timing calculator.

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/555.htm

benkeys

Yeah, that sounds like too much work.. Way more then i was thinking it would be..