News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

mienaichizu

Art Deco is an art and architecture movement that sprang up in the 20's and 30's. Art Deco stuffs usually have streamlined characteristics. Art Deco started in France and influenced the US by means of Ocean Liner designs from France. Notable samples are the Chrysler Building in New York and the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California

Dennis Markham

There's another term out there that is over used and causes the gag reflex to kick in.......Shabby Shic (Shabby Chic)..........

JimH

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 20, 2008, 09:17:30 AM
There's another term out there that is over used and causes the gag reflex to kick in.......Shabby Shic (Shabby Chic)..........
I agree, Dennis...so many phrases and sayings like "shabby chic"  just grate on my mind.  Kind of like in the 70s when everyone went around saying "Super!"
Jim H.

BDM

As long as we're on hated terms. DUDE is another I'm totally sick of hearing. Guys at work call me that. They're quickly corrected.....Hey dude....No dude........c'mon dude......................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:(
Kind of reminds me of my father who years ago was a police officer. When folks called or referred to him as a cop/copper, he was quick to correct. I'm a Police or Peace officer, not "cop". He wasn't anal, he just hated that reference.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on October 21, 2008, 10:09:19 AM
Ah come on dude.   ;)

Man I don't complain about much, believe me. But for some reason my teeth grind when someone calls me that :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: BDM on October 21, 2008, 05:16:52 PM
Quote from: McHeath on October 21, 2008, 10:09:19 AM
Ah come on dude.   ;)

Man I don't complain about much, believe me. But for some reason my teeth grind when someone calls me that :P

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, hep-cat!!!  :D

HobieSport

"Vintage".  Everything is vintage.  The word simply means the date that anything was manufactured, so it doesn't mean anything.

"Antique".  Doesn't mean much either, just that according to some customs laws is over 100 years old.

How's this:

"Rare older Vintage Antique Art Deco Shabby Chic cell phone from early 2008 from China!  Still works! Huge and Heavy!  Weighs almost two ounces and nearly two inches long!  L@@k Hep-Cat Dude!!!" ::)

McHeath

Quote"Rare older Vintage Antique Art Deco Shabby Chic cell phone from early 2008 from China!  Still works! Huge and Heavy!  Weighs almost two ounces and nearly two inches long!  L@@k Hep-Cat Dude!!!

Sadly if we fast forward the year to oh, say about 2060, this will be the ad on ebay. 

Though I doubt any of our cell phones will still work in 50+ years.

BDM

Here's another example. Look at the TELCO bill. Give me a fricken BREAK!! ::) What a sales pitch. Reminds me of a clam digging car salesman! Plus, a NY telephone bill for a Hollyweed address??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-302-LUCY-TELEPHONE-phone_W0QQitemZ280277879717QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280277879717&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

"Eames Era" has to be the most annoying.  I can see how a 202 or 302 could be "Art Deco" but a flesh-colored 500 from 1978???  "Victorian" is also annoying.  90% of phones labelled "Victorian" are cheap repros from the 1970's.  In household items anything rusty from before 1950 is labelled "Victorian" (anything after is "Shabby Chic"). 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JimH

Quote from: BDM on October 23, 2008, 01:53:26 AM
Here's another example. Look at the TELCO bill. Give me a fricken BREAK!! ::) What a sales pitch. Reminds me of a clam digging car salesman! Plus, a NY telephone bill for a Hollyweed address??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-302-LUCY-TELEPHONE-phone_W0QQitemZ280277879717QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280277879717&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I guess Lucy had an apartment in NYC and got the bill at her office at Desilu.
Jim H.

HobieSport

I do get tired of hearing them called "Lucy Phones".  As Mark pointed out in his blog, this comes from people who get their history from old tv re-runs, and shall we then refer to the 500s as "Beaver Phones"? :P :D

But then, the term WE302 may seem a cold technical term to the unappreciative. 
So I just call the 302s "Roosevelt-Truman Telephones" and the 500s "Eisenhower-Obama Phones". ;)

Perry

I find the "Lucy phone" thing annoying, too. It was the most common phone at the time, and was in lots of TV shows and movies, so why single out the Lucy show? I always assumed it was a way of having the auction show up in eBay searches of Lucy fans/collectors who were not specifically looking for phones. I'm not a big Lucy fan, but didn't she switch to a WE 500 when that phone came into common use in the 1960s? Maybe I shouldn't say that, as it might encourage people to attach the "Lucy phone" name to the 500s, too. As far as the WE 500 as the "Beaver" phone, the Cleavers also had a 302 as an extension phone in their upstairs hallway, at least in the early episodes.