News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help w/ a dial ID?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 16, 2010, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Duane, whomever put the phone together also neglected to replace the dial's yellow dust cover.  Maybe it wouldn't fit right on the B1 mount with the dust cover in place.

As it's already been said, that definitely is not a time-period correct dial for that phone.  I wouldn't want it on a D1 mount either.  You find the #6's all the time on 302's nowadays...especially with phone sellers.  I think a lot of sellers that are also collectors, find the phones in the field with the right dial and then maybe replace the dial with a cheaper one (later one) for the re-sale on eBay.  Both of my B1's have #4's, each converted #2's.  I would love to have a #2 dial but as of yet do not have one.    I have a handful of D1's all with #4 dials.  Once you have one and hear how it compares to the #5 I'm sure you'll agree.

So in my pea brain here's what I prefer in the following Models:

B1's........#2 or #4
D1's.........#4, #5 if you have to.......
302.....#5 dial.......older ones with #4's....not common with a #4 but they're out there.  Especially ones with an E1 handset.
Colored 302's........5J
Continentals (Colored D1's).......5J, #6 and even a #4.  I've a couple of Continentals with #4 dials.
Imperials.........The ones I've had in my possession all had #6 dials.
354's........#5 or #6........
5302's.....#5 or the later ones had #6's.........

Again, that's just my take on things.  Mileage may vary.....

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Quote from: Come in Nighthawk on June 17, 2010, 12:41:49 PM
Umm, to reiterate one of the allied questions?  Is "329," as "painted" in red on the inside of the mount (see photo above), the date of production of the B1 -- i.e. March 1929??  ???
You are correct, March 1929. It is a nice phone and you should be proud of it....Doug
Kidphone