Main Menu

Bent WE 554 Hook-Switch

Started by tjmack99, November 17, 2010, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

Doug Rose

Quote from: tjmack99 on November 18, 2010, 02:01:28 PM
He hooked me up...
Dennis Markham's Phone Repair, "We hook you up".....I like it!! "Hook Up" I get it (my daughter told me), but just what is a bent axle?? All this new lingo...I'm hep. I mean hip....you go Dennis
Kidphone

tjmack99

In the spirit of Thanks Giving, I want to thank Dennis and everyone else who offered help and advice in fixing my 554. Here she is, all hard-wired and working great!!

Happy thanksgiving!
Tim

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

tjmack99

1956 (all original except the bezel)

And by the way I tried the hair drier trick for my other "frozen" bakelite transmitter cap, and presto it came right off...genius!

Kenny C

I have a 2-56 dial with a 56 bezel if i ever find a dial from 11-55 i well sell it to you if you are interested. Its on my 11-55 500 right now.

the hairdryer has saved my hide alot too
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

tjmack99

Hey thanks man. Funny, my mom was here for T-giving and called an old friend from this phone...probably the same phone they talked on when they were 20.....

Kenny C

my grandma enjoys using mine too  i gave her a SC 1553 and she uses it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Tim, the phone looks very nice.  Glad the parts worked out for you.  That bezel I sent you is a soft plastic bezel so it is time period correct for that phone.  Now you'll need to experiment with the cord backing method of getting the kinks out of the handset cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=202.0

Read the thread from top to bottom as there were changes as intelligence progressed.

Ed D

Quote from: tjmack99 on November 26, 2010, 12:56:19 AM
And by the way I tried the hair drier trick for my other "frozen" bakelite transmitter cap, and presto it came right off...genius!
Uh, how exactly does this trick work?  Heat up the cap and try to loosen while hot?  Or, heat and cool a few times to "break" it loose?
Thanks,
Ed

Dennis Markham

Ed, just heat/warm the part with the hair dryer and it usually comes right off afterward.  It shouldn't get too hot to the touch.

Ed D

tjmack99

This worked for me, though once "cooled" it's immovable once again. Other bakelite caps I have are loose as a goose, though. Why do some frereze up, I wonder, but others do not??