News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Brass Candlestick

Started by KyMike, September 21, 2011, 11:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyMike

I'm looking for some advice about the carcass of a brass Western Electric dial candlestick that I recently bought at an estate auction.  It has been converted to a lamp and almost all of the original telephone electrical parts are missing except for the hook switch.  From comparing it to the drawings in a W.E. catalog, I believe it is a 51-AL desk set.  Around the base it is marked: PAT IN USA JAN 26 15 JAN 1 18 MAY 7 18 SEPT 21 20.

Going by the catalog, it looks like the parts needed to restore it to a working telephone are:  No. 323 transmitter, No. 144 receiver, 4HA or 5 dial.  The black molded receiver shell came with it but it has been gutted of all internal parts.  There is the number 1370 stamped inside the cap.  The lamp socket was soldered to what looks like the lower half of the brass fork-shaped piece that the transmitter mounts on.  I was able to unsolder the socket without damaging anything, but it looks like they may have cut the forks off unless that part was made to be removeable.

I can't find a part number on the hook switch but it has 5 terminals.   Apparently, again going by the catalog, there were two terminal blocks and some curved metal strips near the dial on the underside that are also missing.  Is this worth trying to restore and can it be done at a reasonable cost?  I'm not too concerned about mixing different parts but I don't know what will interchange.  Any help appreciated.

Mike

Ryche

Mike, I have the same phone that I am also trying to restore. I just put a post on asking if someone could send or post me a picture of the hook switch. Would you be willing to do this and if I can help you with anything let me know. I believe I have all the parts for my 51-AL. Also, can you advise as to the URL where you located the WE catalog? 

Wallphone

I want to welcome both of you to the Forum. A good place to start is in the TCI Library. Here is where you will find the wiring diagrams for WE candlesticks. < http://tinyurl.com/3l35qp8 > While you are there on the left side is a search window. Look up these BSP's for starters. C63.373, C63.374 & C32.401. Is there a number stamped on the back of your transmitter perch?
Doug Pav

KyMike

Ryche, there is a wiring diagram and a drawing of the switch assembly in the catalog and I could try to scan and post the page.

It is from the W.E. Telephone Apparatus and Cable catalog No. 9, copyright 1935.  There is a note inside that says it replaces the 1930-31 edition.  I bought it at a flea market a few years ago and as far as I know it is not online anywhere.

Mike

Ryche

Mike, appreciate the offer. I sent you an email as well so if you can scan the wiring for me I would appreciate it.

Doug, thanks for the warm reception! I use a site like this (RGP) for pinball machines and find that people are more than willing to help. Forums like these are a great resource! On my perch it is stamped 51 AL. I had posted a post just before Mike's titled 51-AL HELP.

Thanks for the assistance!

cihensley@aol.com

KyMike:

You might consider scanning the whole catalog for the TCI library. I think paul-f can upload it to the library after you scan it.

Chuck