News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need some help with my new Sumter Candlestick

Started by Whitcrane76, March 31, 2019, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

A friend gave me this candlestick, as far as I can tell it is a Sumter phone. From what I have found it is a fairly rare phone but as you can see it needs some work. Can anyone point me towards a place to find parts (preferably original but reproduction if all else fails)?

rdelius

It is a Sumter . Parts will be somewhat hard to find. The transmitter will likely work.Rec also. Good luck finding a proper subset .I had a similar set with subset but it was stolen

Whitcrane76

Any idea what it's worth in current condition, or after restoring?

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum! That is one different stick. I would sure like to try to make it displayable if you ever decide to part with it. ...Doug

Kidphone

Whitcrane76

I am definitely not married to it, I try to stick with Western Electric. Depending on what I could get I am willing to do some horse trading.

Whitcrane76

Do we have a Sumter expert on the forum? I would really like more information on this phone. Anything would be appreciated.

rdelius

I am not a Sumter expert but have owned several. Your set dates from about 1910 or so. Sumter was located in Sumter SC. Bought or merged with Garford or Dean mid teens.It is hard to determine a value because it is a smaller less well known make.The proper marked receiver will be hard to locate along with a subset.Sumter also made auto magneto and tried to get into the  radio business after the telephone business ,Look for a wooden subset with green painted magnets on the ringer and magneto.

Whitcrane76

Whitcrane76

Does anybody have a picture of one complete so I can see what I'm shooting for?