"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS 500 for $45 from eBay!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 25, 2014, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 01, 2014, 12:44:51 PM
I will probably get some high-quality scans up tonight.

BTW, nice new profile picture, Bartonpipes!

Thanks Christian!

Now to find that faded cardstock that I prepared earlier....

Oh, and the picture is of the six manual (keyboards), 51 rank (sets of pipes) Barton organ that was installed in the old Chicago Stadium in 1929.

-Andrew

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, here are the scans. One is black and white, and the other is in full color.  It should print out in actual size.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

Does anyone know why black 500s continued to have black painted metal finger wheels until the mid to late 1960s, when colored phones had clear plastic finger wheels? (except for the mushroom phones). 
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on December 03, 2014, 12:49:53 AM
Does anyone know why black 500s continued to have black painted metal finger wheels until the mid to late 1960s, when colored phones had clear plastic finger wheels? (except for the mushroom phones). 
Because the #9 dial came out, and it only accepted a hard-center finger wheel. The black 500s also used clear plungers after 1966 or so, along with ABS handsets. The reason is probably because of standardization, so a black 500 would use all of the same components a color 500 would.
Christian Petterson

Dan/Panther

Christian;
That is a wonderful looking phone.
I'm just a little confused. Is the link in your original post the eBay auction for the phone you received ?
The reason I ask is, in the photos the phone has several scratches, white smudges, and the shot of the handset cord is covered in something, and appears very dirty. Did you do a deep cleaning or what. I don't get the discrepancies between the auction photos, and the ones after you received the phone.
I'm not trying to take away from the find, but the photos just don't match a new in box phone ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 03, 2014, 12:37:07 PM
Christian;
That is a wonderful looking phone.
I'm just a little confused. Is the link in your original post the eBay auction for the phone you received ?
The reason I ask is, in the photos the phone has several scratches, white smudges, and the shot of the handset cord is covered in something, and appears very dirty. Did you do a deep cleaning or what. I don't get the discrepancies between the auction photos, and the ones after you received the phone.
I'm not trying to take away from the find, but the photos just don't match a new in box phone ?

D/P
The seller took the pictures with a flash, which really made the small amounts of scratches and dirt stand out. When I received the phone, I was surprised that it looked so good! Those scratches, smudges, and dirt were nowhere to be found when I got it. Honestly, all I did to the phone was lightly polish it.

There's no doubt that it's brand new (no scratches on cradle sides, plungers still have mold 'stubs' on the tips), but the auction pictures don't do the phone much justice. Trust me, it looks perfect in person!
Christian Petterson

Dan/Panther

OK then, go ahead and send it to me.
I'll pay shipping of course.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson