News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identifying receivers OST#122, 2 long poles(101 vs 134)

Started by rfkimba, February 01, 2014, 03:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Dear telephonists,
I was offered for sale 3 receivers in the photo. As there were no Sargeguy tutorials available I reviewed my other photo references. My goal is to properly identify and purchase WE receivers for my new collection. WRt to the WE OST 122 receiver in the center I usually look for a "z" on top along with Western electric on the perimeter with a center screw. I did see one older  WE 122 with out  a center screw . What seems common to me  is that many WE ost 122 receivers lack the  Z and wording due to wear and are identified by their general configuration. Any thoughts?

WRT to the two long pole I ask what identifying features one should look for to identify WE and models 101 vs 134?
I have seen two types of top bolts vs caps on the exposed terminals at different dates  . Does this difference give some idea of an age difference and value? The seller said it did. Can anyone tell which WE model they are  101 or 134?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

Sargeguy

Western Electric 122 receivers had several sets of markings on them, including no marks.  The ones without marks were sold to smaller manufacturers who used WE components but did not want any WE markings on their phones.  I see no problem with the one on the bottom, in fact I could use one of those.  The one on the top right looks like a Manhattan that was used by several different manufacturers and the one on the right looks familiar but I can't recall who made it.  None of the prices on the tags are bargains but they are not out of line either.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Hi Sargeguy,
Its not clear in your response above  which phone on the right is Manhatten manufactured and which one is unknown. You mentioned right twice. Can you clarify?
Thanks
Bob

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Hi Guys ,
Can anyone  refer me to any references that would help me learn how to properly differentiate the variations and manufacturers of the long pole receivers?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

rfkimba

Hi Sarge,
I received and posted several  additional photos of the long pole I was considering purchasing. There is no lettering visible .  You had indicated it looked like a Manhatten long pole. I was wondering if you could look at these other views and indicate why you thought it was a Manhatten pole. I have also included a photo of a phone that sold on Ebay for I think around 12 or 14k that I was told had an original  WE long pole.
Your thoughts are welcomed.
Sincerely,
Bob Farber

Sargeguy

I'm sorry, I meant the other long pole.  I do not know what this one is.  I don't know much about early long poles. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

extremecinema

Quote from: rfkimba on February 01, 2014, 03:14:55 AM
Dear telephonists,
I was offered for sale 3 receivers in the photo. As there were no Sargeguy tutorials available I reviewed my other photo references. My goal is to properly identify and purchase WE receivers for my new collection. WRt to the WE OST 122 receiver in the center I usually look for a "z" on top along with Western electric on the perimeter with a center screw. I did see one older  WE 122 with out  a center screw . What seems common to me  is that many WE ost 122 receivers lack the  Z and wording due to wear and are identified by their general configuration. Any thoughts?

WRT to the two long pole I ask what identifying features one should look for to identify WE and models 101 vs 134?
I have seen two types of top bolts vs caps on the exposed terminals at different dates  . Does this difference give some idea of an age difference and value? The seller said it did. Can anyone tell which WE model they are  101 or 134?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

What does the "Z" connote?