News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

another idiot listing....

Started by Babybearjs, December 03, 2019, 09:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, here's another idiot listing by someone who doesn't know his history. Found this on E-Bay....383208222468 seller wants a good hunk of change for this one.... why do people do this?
John

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 03, 2019, 09:14:52 PM
well, here's another idiot listing by someone who doesn't know his history. Found this on E-Bay....383208222468 seller wants a good hunk of change for this one.... why do people do this?

• Because he can
  • Because he wants to make a profit
  • Because the subset looks original and has a circuit in very good condition
  • Because he has a good example of an AE AST subset with straight line ringer for early Monophone Type 1, 1-A etc
  • Because there will be people looking for those and it would save making or refurbishing one.
  • Because they are reasonably uncommon

I probably missed something - oh, it doubles an a very early pump.

Jack

FABphones

Screenshots from listing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Am I missing something? What does this subset have to do with a pump?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 04, 2019, 07:09:11 AM
Am I missing something? What does this subset have to do with a pump?

Nothing. I suspect the seller used a pump auction as a template for the subset auction but stuffed up the editing. There is also a patent for the AE step candlestick.

Jack

Key2871

I may be wrong, but I think he placed the wrong picture with that auction..
It's most likely a goof on his part.
KEN

Western Bell

eBay link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1856-R-B-Gorsuch-Double-Acting-Pump-Telephone-Ringer-Automatic-Electric-Inc/383208222468

Why is this in General Discussion? It's about an auction.

eBay listing includes two drawings, the first of an AE subset and the second of a 1856 Gorsuch pump. Who knows what will be shipped but to call someone an "idiot" for making a simple listing error is not in good taste, time would be better spent sending a message to the seller asking which of the two are for sale.

Jack Ryan was right, on all points if it's a subset. Otherwise, better to help the seller with a message than call him names on this forum.

Western Bell

The seller seems to have researched the patent numbers of the gold label and came up with 2 for an AE subset filed in 1928 and 1 for a steam driven pump filed in 1856.

Have no idea of how patent number RS (the RS should indicate a patent filed in Serbia) 15,070 is on the phone label. The seller obviously does not know phones but seems to be selling the subset only, don't expect a pump to be in the box. His mistake was putting the patent filing titles together in the eBay listing which is misleading, but the pictures are clear and it is a nice looking subset.

The steam driven pump (an interesting device created in 1856 which is well before telephone subsets were a dream) Patent Filing 4 page document is attached in pdf format.

Jack Ryan

I suspect patent 15070 is a design patent.

Jack

Babybearjs

Thank you guys for find the pump part of the telephone, so I guess the phone was originally in a pump room?
John