News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Instant Collection of Early Bell System Buttons

Started by Sargeguy, April 22, 2017, 05:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Can't decide if these belong under equipment or here.  These are examples of a variety of styles of uniform button used by the Bell System and SNET.  I already have one of the SNET buttons with the long pole receiver, but not the others.  I believe these were used in the earliest days of payphones when an attendant operated the phone and used a stopwatch to time the calls.  Each one is different. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

I see a couple of buttons with COLLECTOR on them.  I imagine those were on the uniform of someone who collected the coins from the pay phones.  However, other forum members may have a slightly different interpretation of what it means!

Sargeguy

Payphones pre-dated mechanical coin collectors by a number of years, during which an attendant assisted in the call and timed it.  The "collector" the button refers to was probably not the guy who emptied the coins from the payphone, it was the guy who you paid once your call was over. As the mechanical payphone came into prominence it probably took a few years before these guys were completely replaced.  I'm sure these buttons were used in the higher end or high traffic locations such as fancy hotels, train stations etc. where a uniform would be needed.  The majority of payphone operators were more likely to be the guy behind the counter at the general store, etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The buttons arrived and I have done a little research on them.  They appear to date from 1890s, they use a type of construction not seen after 1910. 

Probably the most interesting button (and the only one I already have) is the SNET button with the long pole on the front manufactured by Scovill Mfg. Co. of Waterbury CT.. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Large "Collector" "Local & Long Distance" bell button

Large "Collector" "Local & Long Distance" bell button  reverse

Small "Collector" "Long Distance" bell sleeve button

Small "Collector" "Long Distance" bell sleeve button reverse

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Large nickeled "Long Distance" bell button

Large nickeled "Long Distance" bell button

Small nickeled "Long Distance" bell sleeve button

Small nickeled "Long Distance" bell sleeve button

Large gilt "Long Distance" bell button

Large gilt "Long Distance" bell button

The three buttons above have an identical pattern but two different makers marks. Browning King & Co. were clothiers specializing in uniforms.  It is likely that the button was made by Waterbury under their name.

Small gilt "Long Distance" bell sleeve button

Small gilt "Long Distance" bell sleeve button
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Large gilt "Local & Long Distance" Bell button

Large gilt "Local & Long Distance" Bell button reverse

Jacob Reeds Sons was another clothier operating in Phildelphia, the buttons were likely made by a button manufacturer under their name.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

jsowers

Thank you for taking and posting better pictures of these so we can see all the details, and for doing the research. They have to be exceedingly rare items considering their age. They were from a time very early on when most telephones were in public places and not in the home. Imagine having buttons on your uniform specific to your job. It was a very different era.
Jonathan

Fabius

What is the price range on the different telephone buttons?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I bought the whole lot for $60 shipped.  I don't remember what I paid for my other SNET button, somewhere between $10-20 I think.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Any ideas on what the initials on this button stand for?  I assume it is a telco, although it could be telegraph.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The most likely suspect is the Philadelphia, Reading & Pottsville Telegraph Co.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409