News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Western Payphone

Started by ....., June 07, 2019, 07:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been piecing together this Gray Western for a display phone.
Put together from different parts.

Cast top
Cast bottom 50A
Flat vault door with 11A lock. Key needed.
Canadian cast small nickel coin gauge.
Canadian coin chute.
8A transmitter mount – Needs a 10A
Has a 197H backboard, Needs a 50a type backboard and a few more parts, I will install the parts as I get them. 

I have to thank Payphone Installer Jim Engle for his help with identifying what it is I have.
He has told me that I have some rare pieces on this phone.

RB

Doug Rose

Quote from: RB on June 07, 2019, 09:58:51 AM
Very nice as it is :)
agreed....great looking Pay Phone.....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Very cool, keep up the good work.
KEN

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Duffy on June 07, 2019, 07:54:05 AM

Cast top
Cast bottom 50A
Canadian coin chute.
Has a 197H backboard, Needs a 50a type backboard and a few more parts, I will install the parts as I get them. 

I have to thank Payphone Installer Jim Engle for his help with identifying what it is I have.
He has told me that I have some rare pieces on this phone.

Looks great.  That's how I got mine. When I couldn't find one at a reasonable price, I started hunting parts. Not all correct but all original parts except the switch hook.

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on June 07, 2019, 07:02:41 PM
Looks great.  That's how I got mine. When I couldn't find one at a reasonable price, I started hunting parts. Not all correct but all original parts except the switch hook.

Nice!

I wasn't intending on putting one together but I ended up buying a chrome 233 and there was what looked to be a parts phone in a box. So I bought that one too. As I was buying them on line I had only seen one picture of it and wasn't sure what it was. After I bought it I contacted Payphone Installer / Jim Engle and asked him his thoughts were on it. He thought that the base looked to be a cast box from a 1912 to 1916 G/W 50A with the brass name tag. He told me that if it was, it's very rare and a hard to find piece as there aren't many around. He had also said that it was very fragile and don't drop it as it would shatter. When I received it, I discovered it was what Jim thought it was.

So that is how it was started. I'm trying to piece together a Canadian 50A version. With the different pieces, I'm not really sure what to call it.

RotarDad

Very nice, Duffy.  I like your attention to detail to try to get it back to original.  One thing that may be easy to address are those darn pop rivets in the coin gauge.  I think these are the correct attachments:

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/coin-guage-ss-round-drive-rivets-for-3-slot-payphone.html

Old Phone Shop has a surprising inventory of vintage payphone parts.
Paul

Quote from: RotarDad on June 08, 2019, 02:17:42 PM
Very nice, Duffy.  I like your attention to detail to try to get it back to original.  One thing that may be easy to address are those darn pop rivets in the coin gauge.  I think these are the correct attachments:

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/coin-guage-ss-round-drive-rivets-for-3-slot-payphone.html

Old Phone Shop has a surprising inventory of vintage payphone parts.

Thanks for the info, I'm wondering where I would get those.

Quote from: Duffy on June 07, 2019, 07:54:05 AM

Cast top
Cast bottom 50A
Canadian coin chute.

I made a run to Kingston, Ontario this week. Stopped in to see Jeff Lamb and he helped me out by supplying me with a chrome transmitter I needed for my G/W payphone. (Thanks Jeff) I also stopped in at Oldphoneworks and met up with Matt Jennings and his associates. They supplied me with some hard to find parts for the G/W payphone, specifically a 10A transmitter mount. A huge thanks again to Oldphoneworks. My go to phone parts place.

Key2871

Nice Job! I think it looks great, really really nice.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Duffy on June 15, 2019, 08:27:21 PM
Stopped in to see Jeff Lamb  I also stopped in at Oldphoneworks
They supplied me with some hard to find parts for the G/W payphone

You did some legwork to complete  this restoration. Great job.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim Stettler on June 15, 2019, 11:52:35 PM
You did some legwork to complete  this restoration. Great job.
Jim

Thanks Jim it's not completed yet, I still have to find the proper backboard and the rest of the pieces to make it functional.