News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I think I did OK here

Started by Jester, August 14, 2012, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I placed the winning bid last night on ebay auction 350585649009.  There were lots of pictures, but nothing that showed the bases of the phones, and no shots with the cover off.  Considering the dark blue 500 that was a no sale Sunday at $225.00+, and is relisted as a BIN this week for $325.00, this one has alot of potential.

link

Stephen

jsowers

Stephen, that's a great deal and it went totally under my radar. At first look I thought it could have been painted blue because of those white places. But no, that's white paint on a blue phone. Looking at the clear switchhook button, which also has paint on it, clued me into what was real and what was paint.

Finding a dark blue dial and dial face won't be easy, but you can't beat the price for the rest of it. The dark gray cords alone are worth the purchase price. Congratulations!

Be sure to send packing instructions. Three phones in one box can be death to plastic housings.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Nice find, Stephen.  And with one second left to boot!  That dial face will be difficult to find, but perhaps it will make a nice "black-dial" set.

Gilas

LOL Jester I was bidding on that too.  I had thrown a last minute bid in too but didn't work out.  Congrats!!!!

Jester

Thanks, Jonathan and Dennis.   I actually have a spare 7C-57 dial and face that I won in a lot of ten loose dials a couple years ago.  It's dated 1955, but finding one that matches the dates on the phone isn't going to happen.  Since I don't have a black dial set in this color, my first idea was to replace the 9C with a 7D-3.  It wouldn't be original, but it would look accurate
Stephen

Jester

Gilas,
Sorry, man.  With almost a thousand of us on the forum, the chances are high that we bid against each other occasionally.
Stephen

HarrySmith

You did more than OK! That was a great buy!
Did your box of dials happen to have one from 1951 to fit the 500 I just got?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

baldopeacock

Quote from: Gilas on August 14, 2012, 06:05:19 PM
LOL Jester I was bidding on that too.  I had thrown a last minute bid in too but didn't work out.  Congrats!!!!

I was also bidding on this.   Thought I had it until that last bid hit at :01 seconds!    Finding a blue dial plate would take awhile, but finding a date correct #7 dial with a black plate, not so hard.   An almost correct two-tone was my goal.

Even if it was worse than it looks upon arrival, the line cord was a keeper.  I recently found a nice '55 yellow 500 at an antique mall, priced uncommonly right, with the gray coil cord,  all matching dates, but missing the matching line cord.   Sadly, all that remained of the line cord was the dated strain relief crimped around a silver satin modular cord.    I'm sure someone thought that was a nice improvement.

Gilas

Jester I'm glad someone here won it. Glad you won it!!  Let me look I might have a black dial for you with matching dates. Might be a day or so but happy to check.